Car sounds like rumble strips

woof

Every now and then when I'm driving I get this horrible noise from the engine, that sounds like I'm on rumble strips. the entire car vibrates too. Seems to do it at any speed, even when stopped (although it usually calms down once i stop - sometimes it starts when i'm stopped too).

It's really not a nice noise as it sounds expensive to fix, does anybody have an idea what it could be?

Check the undertray / exhaust / anything else under the car isn't loose and wobbling about? Check the gear linkage too... but that should be a lot more rattly...

Have you had a peek at your engine and gearbox mountings to make sure they're okay?

Kinda vague I know, but it's all I can think of... hope its of some help :)

Check the undertray / exhaust / anything else under the car isn't loose and wobbling about? Check the gear linkage too... but that should be a lot more rattly...

Have you had a peek at your engine and gearbox mountings to make sure they're okay?

Kinda vague I know, but it's all I can think of... hope its of some help :)

It is quite a lot more rattly than rumble stips. Vibrates the whole car. I really hope it's not the clutch... how much do they cost on fabias?

Bear in mind the car's only done 55k miles I wouldn't have expected the clutch to go so early.

It is quite a lot more rattly than rumble stips. Vibrates the whole car. I really hope it's not the clutch... how much do they cost on fabias?

Bear in mind the car's only done 55k miles I wouldn't have expected the clutch to go so early.

More likely to be the DMF (dual mass flywheel) but clutch really should be done at the same time. Prices have dropped to about £400+fitting (about another £150) for DMF and full clutch assy.

i would say flywheel could be up there also check engine mounts. is it running rough or just noisy?

Both. Very rough and very noisy. A mate who was training to be a mechanic was in the car earlier today and he said he'd never heard anything like it. Seems like the whole engine's trying to escape.

Yeah I had that thought, like maybe it wasn't mounted securely. It's not constant the rattle. Sometimes I go journeys with no rattle and sometimes there's nothing but rattle (I usually stop and turn off the engine for it to calm down). It shakes the car enough to make the keys in the ignition jangle. How much did that cost you out of curiosity?