Uneven tyre wear

My 07 Octravia TDI VRS (30K miles) has started to make a 'humming' noise that increases with speed, sounds a bit like a dodgy wheel bearing, however checked my rear tyres and found that although the outer tread is still 4-5mm deep, the inner tread is much lower and worn very unevenly. I assume this is the casue of the 'humming' and will get the tyres changed but i was surprised at the difference between inner and outer tyre wear. Has anyone seen/experienced this on their VRS (225/45R17) ??? :confused:

I had issues with my 06 plater Octavia tdi elegance.

It turned out that skoda have released 'revised' settings for the four wheel alignment of the vehicle.

Mine was scrubbing tires unevenly and felt a bit skittish over bumps.

A common occurance I believe :rolleyes:

Kev

There are quite a few posts relating to this issue.

It would appear that it is a more common issue than first thought.

Mine "feathered" the inner edges of my rear tyres (18") and ruined them. The supplying dealer simply replaced all 4 tyres free of charge :thumbup:

They seemed to think it was more an issue of what tyres you have rather than the geometry being out of sync. Not sure I am convinced about that but having said that my new set now have 8-9k of wear on them with no issues and the geometry hasn't been touched.

Normal pressure for normal use (i.e. not heavy load) i can't remember exactly.

Took it to Skoda, service guy looked at it and agreed the inside wear looked excessive, they say they have the ability to check it and adjust if necessary so it's booked in for week after next.

• 6 months later...

I am having similar problems with my 2008 Elegance.

I have 18" OZ Opera wheels and I have lowered the car by 30mm using Eibach springs.

I am having problems with very excessive tyre wear to the insides of both rear tyres!!!

Is there a solution as far as adjusting the camber on the rear suspension as this looks to be the most likely cause???

I had the same humming and thought it was a wheel bearing and it stopped when I put the snow tyres on which now makes me think its the tyres.

Ive got the standard Michelin Pilot 17" which came with the L+K - I don't remember there being a lot different wear on them but I will check again.

Looks like its time to get some laser alignment done.

TC

Its the tyres thats causing this down to the incorrect camber values, i've experienced the same thing twice now. Before lowering on nankang's and after lowering and a geometry setup on Kuhmo's.

Im not entirely bought that the geo work was that good, seeing as its quite visable one wheel on the rear sticks out further than the other.