Rear brake caliper

How do you take the rear brake caliper off the rear disc ? I have an intermittant knocking sound (speed related) after heavy braking down hill. I took the wheel off, undid the two bolts holding the caliper off bit couldnt get the caliper off the disc. I am assuming its because the disc has a slight lip because of wear.

The facing brake pad looks fine, but I cant quite see the other pad, and wanted to inspect it just to check the pads are located OK with plenty of wear left.

Any ideas, even with a rubber mallet I couldnt get the caliper off.

TIA

RBW.

Once you take the caliper off you need to remove the caliper carrier. There are two 8mm cap head bolts holding it on which are torqued up to 10000000NM. Then the disc ac be removed. These bolts are usually very tight.Dont round them off or you will be up **** creek.

Gaz

just tap the rusty edge of the disc with a small hammer , this should remove enough of the lip to be able to pull the caliper off

no need to take caliper bracket off, and deffo no need for any heat

The pistons can be retracted back into the caliper by winding them back, (can't remember whether if it is clockwise or anti clock. you have to turn them) unlike the front where they push back in. This will give you more space between the pads and the disc.

I would give the main calliper holding bolts a wire brushing and a good soak in penetrating oil, WD-40, PlusGas etc.

If you remove the pads, remember to give the bolts a wire brushing and a drop of Loctite thread lock. There is a guide to replacing rear pads and discs somewhere in the "Technical Guides" section

The pistons can be retracted back into the caliper by winding them back, (can't remember whether if it is clockwise or anti clock. you have to turn them) unlike the front where they push back in. This will give you more space between the pads and the disc.

you can't wind the piston back in if the caliper is still over the disc with pads fitted :P

Yes, thats true. Rainbow Warrior could file a portion of rusty lip off gently then lever the caliper over the filed section.