diesel turbo's are rubbish

bengie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fairly sure a TDI would never reach the revs to be able to start spinning a GT30 effectively. I imagine they're built primarily for power from 5,000 to 7,500 revs? I guess the TDI turbos are smaller because they're spinning below 2,000 rpm and often at full pressure by 2,000 rpm / 2,500 rpm? The lag on my VT5 can be bad if not driven right, but having a GT30 sounds way worse. Oh, I'm at 4,000 rpm - VROOOOOM! (for 500 revs.....[change down, repeat])

The biggest VNT turbo I am aware of is one BMW uses - X5 3 litre I think - VNT25. Not sure being a "25" makes it the same size as a GT"25" ??

I concur. With the GT25 it starts to spool around 2000-2400 but isnt at full pressure until 3000, but this gives me plenty of revs to VROOOOOM!

This isnt a problem as i sit around 2800 if im going to be accelerating hard, just adapt the driving style as you've said.

that does sound a bit laggy for a diesel really.

I dont think so. you just got to change your driving style to adapt. Plus I lied, its at full boost at 2500 revs not 3000:O.

Anyway whats lag got to do with it. If your driving progressively then you'll always be at the revs you need or youll just need to change down a cog. Either way it works fine.

That said I'm glad i have a few more revs than Jason to play with:D.

i agree upto a point, the trouble is you can't really raise the rev limiter on a PD engine like you can a petrol engine so boosting late just means you get usable rev range where as on the petrol you can change valves/springs/lifters/etc etc and raise your rev limit to make the most of your bigger turbo.

i agree upto a point, the trouble is you can't really raise the rev limiter on a PD engine like you can a petrol engine so boosting late just means you get usable rev range where as on the petrol you can change valves/springs/lifters/etc etc and raise your rev limit to make the most of your bigger turbo.

See your point but just shy of 3000 revs at full pelt in a diesel is OK for me:D.

I've seen quite a few threads with bigger turbo's on the 1.9 TDI but I've not noticed any on the 2.0 PD TDI.

Is this because the Dual Mass Flywheel is made of chocolate ?

Or simply that no-ones bothered as 140 / 170 is as much as the owners want /need?

Or the more "sporty" minded Octy owner would have gone for the 2.0 TFSI Petrol?

Don't think so...plenty of power and 60mpg when driven carefully out of a Octy vRS 170 diesel is fine by me thanks very much. Petrol is £1 a litre too now you know.

Don't think so...plenty of power and 60mpg when driven carefully out of a Octy vRS 170 diesel is fine by me thanks very much. Petrol is £1 a litre too now you know.

But petrols are better :rofl:

I've seen quite a few threads with bigger turbo's on the 1.9 TDI but I've not noticed any on the 2.0 PD TDI.

Is this because the Dual Mass Flywheel is made of chocolate ?

Or simply that no-ones bothered as 140 / 170 is as much as the owners want /need?

people have taken them to 300bhp and beyond i believe but they dont tend to on here as you can only get a FWD with that engine and they tend to modify the A3 quattro etc.

But petrols are better :rofl:

No, that's rubbish. Wouldn't go back to an unleaded just about 300 miles of out a tank petrol powered thing. 600 is more like it ! Diesel is the way fwd and more env friendly too.