1993 Favorit GLS Cutting out

Hello,

A friend of mine has a 1993 Favorit GLS (Possibly GLX), it starts, but then cuts out after about 5s. It will then start again straight away and then do the same thing. A little throttle will make it live a little longer, but then it dies regardless.

I'm fairly well clued up on engines in general, but not Favorits in particular, so thought I'd ask on here if it is a common or obvious problem? If you think you know what the problem is and how to cure it, let me know!

Cheers

Paul

Immobiliser on a Favorit would stop it from starting altogether (as it's an aftermarket one you push a special key in and out of to enable the fuel pump and starter motor). If there is no "i" in the model it will be the carburettor version, and I do not believe any of those were fitted with immobilisers - at least they had mechanical rather than electronic fuel pumps.

My first thought would turn to the fuel system. I'm not sure if the fuel filter on the Carb Favorit is near the fuel pump on the front of the engine. It may be worth trying to change that if it's not been done in a long while.

I don't normally recommend running engines without an air cleaner (aside from being bad for them if you do it too much, they also act as flame dampers), but this seems like a time to try it, and see if you can smell fuel on switch on, whilst cranking, whilst running, and immediately after the engine cuts.

If you lose the fuel smell, I'd say we're looking at the filter or pump. If the car's a carbie, the alternative may be a duff Jikov!

Hello,

I've been told that the car is an injection model, and that it doesn't have an immobiliser. My first thought was fuel supply as well, but the symptoms are exactly repeatable if the engine is started again straightaway. If the engine was cutting out because of fuel starvation I wouldn't expect it to start again instantly. What do you think?

When I found out it was an injection I wondered if there was a broken sensor somewhere, but I don't know what sensors the car has or what failure would cause these symptoms?

You'll have to be paitient with me, while I know about cars (Minis) I don't know anything about Skodas and I'm asking the questions on behalf of a friend a few hundred miles away.

Cheers!

Not really; immobilisers only became commonplace in 1996 or 1997. My Sept 1995 (just before the 96 MY, but I needed a car then, not 2 weeks later and got a discount) ZX had a Bosch MA3.0 EMS, and no immobiliser.

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Some dirt in the fuel system that moves when the pump actuates. Therefore just enough fuel gets past to run the engine briefly. When the fuel line pressure is cut the dirt (or whatever) falls back to its original position. Start with the filter; its underneath so you'll need ramps or axle stands, but is relatively easy to get at.

Also check the fuel pump electrical connections on top of the tank; take out the back saet and remove the round cover to access.

Good luck !