fuel system depressurisation

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is an appropriate place in the fuel line to depressurize the system..?

My goal here is to remove the fuel pump for inspection. Sludge in the tank/pump, or if it needs a replacement.

I had a look and start around the too small access on top on the pump, but I'm pretty sure I'll spill a lot over there... And it will smell gas in the car.

So, any idea..?

Anyone already messed with the fuel pump..?

the best way to depressurize the fuel system is to lift up the seat, take the pump cover off and and unplug the wiring harness to the pump, then start the engine up like normal and it will just die when the pressure is gone...

tbh you probably wont spill any unless you are a complete muppet, and it will evaporate very quickly anyhow

I just did it as per the Haynes and removed the fuel pump relay and started the car till it died.

Only spilt a dribble while changing the fuel filter and most of that ended up in my hair! lol

Phil

of course it wont start with the relay removed..... the fuel pump relay also powers the ignition coil, i'm afraid that's one of the many things the haynes manual has got completely wrong

When I changed my fuel filter I just undid the hose and let out the excess without de-pressurising it. I only lost an egg cup full if that.

Now reconnecting was a different story. I used the old knackered spring clip instead of a nice new jubbly clip and it literally pi$$ed out about a tenner's worth. DOH!!!

Note to self: ALWAYS check and replace hose fixings if neccessary. :thumbup:

Got the pump off the tank... Was pretty hard to get it, but I finally did it! :D

I tried to "start" the engine with the pump off the tank, just to try troubleshooting it, or just listening to it if it was running wrong, or else. And noticed some gas left in the pump was gettin' out from the holes on top of it, not pipes, but from 2 tiny holes.

Can I say the pump is dead, and should pay for a new one..?

Are there some tests I could run before..?