Flashing glow plug - Engine fault Workshop

Today after driving for a few minutes on the way back to the office after a brief lunch break I had an engine warning.

I slowed for the roundabout and possibly should have changed down as the engine was labouring a bit but there was a gap on the roundabout so I booted it.

The glow plug warning light started flashing and a message appeared on the instrument panel Engine Workshop (Engine Fault - Workshop).

Page 32 of the owners manual states it is a problem with the engine control system and the engine will adopt an emergency program - while you should adopt a gentle driving style.

The Skoda stealer was really unhelpful and told me they may be able to get it on the diagnostic machine late next week as they are fully booked.

I guess any garage with a reader should be able to check this out?

I drove home this evening and the message has gone and all seems normal like it has reset itself.

Are my suspicions that it was due to the engine labouring founded, should I still get it checked and can it reset itself?

What is the most likely culprit if my suspicions are not founded?

Cheers in advance.

Dave

I really need more practice with searching the threads. It never seems to turn up anything of relevance for me. I either get nothing or hundreds that are not anything to do with what I am looking for.

Similar posts under ths thread show it is most likely the brake light switch and as I recently have had problems with the brake lights staying on after I park the car it is a good bet.

Cheers Dave

Thanks have had an independant garage recomended to me so they may be getting my business from now on. I am registered disabled and that is noted on my file with the dealer so was not impressed with their atttude. That I could live with this until late next week. They did not even suggest any cause or that it may not be serious.

i had the same problem. when the car is put on the diagnostic machine it can clear it and did with mine. Then it started coming on for a few minutes, then a couple of hours and then days. took it back to the local skoda dealer and it was the DPT flui that needed topped up. Around £30 @ litre and it takes up to 4 then add on labour at around £60 an hour. I then contatced the dealer i had bought the car from in Birmingham and insisted that it should have been checked before the sale. Thankfully they agreed to look after the bill. check it out i would be nearly 100% that this is where your problem lies

It cannot be the DPT fluid as he has not got a diseil particle filter on his car. I had the light come on and it was a fuel temp sensor. However the engine did not go into limp mode and the light remained on. Check all the lights then get a diagonostic.

Does anyone with VAG-COM live close by? I found a great bloke only five mins down the road willing to lend me a hand.

• 4 months later...

Bump... :(

I'm having this issue too (Superb TDI 140 DSG): from time to time (about 3 or 4 times a week), I briefly get the error described above. I noticed it does this whilst going quite slow, not when the engine is under a lot of stress or anything. Things I can check before I go to the dealer?

Bump... :(

I'm having this issue too (Superb TDI 140 DSG): from time to time (about 3 or 4 times a week), I briefly get the error described above. I noticed it does this whilst going quite slow, not when the engine is under a lot of stress or anything. Things I can check before I go to the dealer?

Brake light switch. Other than that, have a read of this.

• 1 month later...

Today after driving for a few minutes on the way back to the office after a brief lunch break I had an engine warning.

I slowed for the roundabout and possibly should have changed down as the engine was labouring a bit but there was a gap on the roundabout so I booted it.

The glow plug warning light started flashing and a message appeared on the instrument panel Engine Workshop (Engine Fault - Workshop).

Page 32 of the owners manual states it is a problem with the engine control system and the engine will adopt an emergency program - while you should adopt a gentle driving style.

The Skoda stealer was really unhelpful and told me they may be able to get it on the diagnostic machine late next week as they are fully booked.

I guess any garage with a reader should be able to check this out?

I drove home this evening and the message has gone and all seems normal like it has reset itself.

Are my suspicions that it was due to the engine labouring founded, should I still get it checked and can it reset itself?

What is the most likely culprit if my suspicions are not founded?

Cheers in advance.

Dave

remove the panel under the steering wheel , locate the brake switch which is to the left hand side near the clutch pedal, these switches are prone to packing up.,

you can either buy a new one or spray electrical contact cleaner onto it leave to dry and then check your brake lights .

Mine was repaired using contact cleaner,

ps..be warned ,when you remove it they can be a pain to refit so try to spray the switch while it is in situ