Fabia Comfort - Serious noise problems

:eek:My daughter started her Fabia 1.4 (petrol) yesterday and there was a noise like an over-run starter motor coming from the engine.

She then dipped the clutch and the noise intensified with her selecting first gear.

I tried it this morning and it actually sounds like a bag of 'nuts and bolts' coupled with the engine whine, when you try to move forward!!

Any help or suggestions?

regards

You don't say the age of the car - I don't know but it may have a dual mass fly wheel which would give the sympoms you describe when they go wrong - as they do!

Would check with a dealer if your daughters car has this fly wheel.

I take it it's only just happened, and by your description, my only suggestion would be that the ring gear isn't disengaging once the engine's running. If, however, it's come on gradually, my bet would be that the timing chain's knackered (assuming it's the 1.4MPi, not the 1.4 16v)

(PS: thread moved :thumbup: )

Thanks to all for your replies, much appreciated.

The car is a Fabia Comfort 2002 1.4 16v. engine.I went up to my daughters house an hour ago and tried starting the car a few times (same noise) then the last time the engine fired up and I engaged 1st gear and drove a few feet then reversed....no noise!.

I thought it sems to have been the starter.I tried it again and the starter just whined and didn't engage so I thought well I will come back tommorrow and take out the starter.

I phone my daughter at her work, to tell her and she said that's fine.....oh Dad, I forgot to mention a yellow light with Ecu was on for a couple of days!!!!!

Problem solved;

took starter off and found bendix gear had sheared. Checked flywheel teeth and found to be ok. Bought new starter and fitted............problem solved. Thanks again to all who replied especially Ken,

Auldbuff