engine not starting

iv had my skoda felicia for about 2 weeks now but i went to it on sunday just gone tryed to start it and there was just a whering its not even trying to fire and everything is moveing coz i had the rocker off to see anyone got any ideas please help iv been told it could have droped a valve but id like another opinion :confused:

There are few things that could cause this.

One could be the fuel pump but also the crank sensor is a common component to fail.

Also don't forget to check the obvious... check all plugs, leads etc.

Are you getting a spark? (no idea how to check this on the MPi btw!!)

Phil

A few years a go mine wouldn't turn over although the battery was good. I called the AA. The mechanic said that the way the Felicia starter motor was wired up was different to most cars and he showed me a lead which was causing the problem. Sorry, but I cannot remember any more than that. The car turned over and started when he cleaned up the terminal. I think it was a smallish one.

the starter is turning the engine coz i had the rocker off and it was all moveing when i tryed it thanks everyone for the help il get stuck in and start rulling things out in the moring. im happy no1 said droped valve thanks again il let you no what i find

• 2 weeks later...

iv just found out it has dropped a valve what a pain thats gona be with it being a 1.3 mpi its the chain driven one i might just put another engine in or just brake it if anyone intrested in any bits let me no

iv just found out it has dropped a valve what a pain thats gona be with it being a 1.3 mpi its the chain driven one i might just put another engine in or just brake it if anyone intrested in any bits let me no

Piece of cake replacing a valve on a head like that - much easier than an OHC one. But what makes you sure it's a valve gone? And anyway, most 4-pot engines like that will start and sort-of run on only three cylinders, won't they?

im not 100% sure thats what it is but me and a pal tryed bump starting it and when i took my foot off the clutch it just made a constunt clicky sound and then my mate said its the valves its got to be. so like i said not 100% sure but what else could make that sound?????? the fual pumps primeing and the starters turning the engine. i dont want to take off the head if its not the valves anyother ideas mate coz i havent a clue thanks for reply anyway

Yup, compression test is a good call but if you haven't the equipment for that (doesn't cost much but still....) you just need to take the rocker cover off and have a look at things. The rocker cover has just two M6 nuts and you won't need a new gasket if you're careful pulling the cover off. Now you just need to turn the engine over by hand and observe each valve in turn. (How do you turn the engine by hand? Either put a big socket on the crankshaft pulley nut and use a socket wrench, or jack up one - not both - roadwheel, put the car in 5th gear and turn the wheel - in either case make damn sure the ignition is off!) If each valve goes down, then comes up again and leave the correct gap - 0.2mm - between valve stem and rocker, the valves aren't actually broken. They may be worn, but in that case your problem would have crept up on you gradually rather than suddenly happening.

It's just possible that one valve has chipped and a bit of it has fallen off inside the engine. I've never heard of that happening on any engine, least of all a low-output type like the Skoda 1.3, but again it's not at all likely to happen between the last time you ran the car and it failing to start. Thing like that, if they happen at all, will happen at high revs (and will probably make a noise like the apocalypse when they do).

So frankly I'd doubt it's a valve.

Yup, compression test is a good call but if you haven't the equipment for that (doesn't cost much but still....) you just need to take the rocker cover off and have a look at things. The rocker cover has just two M6 nuts and you won't need a new gasket if you're careful pulling the cover off. Now you just need to turn the engine over by hand and observe each valve in turn. (How do you turn the engine by hand? Either put a big socket on the crankshaft pulley nut and use a socket wrench, or jack up one - not both - roadwheel, put the car in 5th gear and turn the wheel - in either case make damn sure the ignition is off!) If each valve goes down, then comes up again and leave the correct gap - 0.2mm - between valve stem and rocker, the valves aren't actually broken. They may be worn, but in that case your problem would have crept up on you gradually rather than suddenly happening.

It's just possible that one valve has chipped and a bit of it has fallen off inside the engine. I've never heard of that happening on any engine, least of all a low-output type like the Skoda 1.3, but again it's not at all likely to happen between the last time you ran the car and it failing to start. Thing like that, if they happen at all, will happen at high revs (and will probably make a noise like the apocalypse when they do).

So frankly I'd doubt it's a valve.

thanks for that advice mate il try that tonight when i get home / but yes i just stopped the engine went in the house come back after about 2 hours and it wouldnt start il let you no what happens thanks again for the reply

right i had the bugger runing today after about 20 trys it was a bit chatery on tickover but reved up ok then it cut out and i bang the fuel pump and it went again so fingers crost its just the fuel pump thats the problem so il get hold of another and see what happens

I have a fuel pump for a Felly 1.6 MPI (might be the same for the 1.3 MPI) if you're interested.
nice one how much you wanting for it mate???? ow i dont supose you no how to get the things out do you i tryed taking mine out today i got it undone the fuel pipes off but i just couldnt get it the right way to get it out does it come apart are will i have to take the tank off or is there a nack to it ????? thanks for the replys guys