Disconnecting ABS control unit

Athena7

I want to do it in order to pass my MOT as at the moment I cannot afford to have the whole ABS control unit replaced - my Skoda dealer has quoted me around £2,000 for doing the work :(((

They said they are not sure if it is the pump or the unit that is faulty :(( And that is after an hour of diagnostics they did on the car to try to identify why my ABS light is on on the dashboard!

Apparently the sensor and wiring is fine, they replaced fuse 179, so they think it is either the unit or the pump .... both really costly of course!

I've been having lots of other problems for example engine revving up when I'm at traffic lights, alarm going off at random times, power steering light on, engine management light on ....

I think it might have to do something with the battery or the fuses that sit on the top of the battery ....

Any ideas?

I want to do it in order to pass my MOT as at the moment I cannot afford to have the whole ABS control unit replaced - my Skoda dealer has quoted me around £2,000 for doing the work :(((

They said they are not sure if it is the pump or the unit that is faulty :(( And that is after an hour of diagnostics they did on the car to try to identify why my ABS light is on on the dashboard!

Apparently the sensor and wiring is fine, they replaced fuse 179, so they think it is either the unit or the pump .... both really costly of course!

I've been having lots of other problems for example engine revving up when I'm at traffic lights, alarm going off at random times, power steering light on, engine management light on ....

I think it might have to do something with the battery or the fuses that sit on the top of the battery ....

Any ideas?

Isn't the car still under warranty?

The easiest way to make the abs light go out is to remove the bulb, but that may not pass the MOT. Really, you need to fix it. How about getting the car scanned by a member here and asking a tech for their opinion, and maybe a secondhand ABS unit?

Thanks... I thought about all 3 solutions, looked up used ABS unit and found one for £100 so so far so good I think....

I also tried contacting a member here, had an appointment arranged with him but he didn't come :(

I will ask a tech though, haven't tried that one yet :)

On another thread Athena states this is one of many problems inc steering faults and engine management faults. THen states the battery is 9 years old and on its last legs.

I would say the battery is possibly the root of all his problems.

It could well be; when the alternator went on mine, a few days later the car disabled the ABS and ASR as the battery gradually flattened.

Thanks guys,

I am going to test both the battery and the alternator and probably replace the battery anyway....

And by the way - I'm a girl :)

In which case respect for being prepared to have a go rather than just look clueless and flutter your eyelashes at a male.

Also, "are you cute?" ;) and :wrthless: :D

In which case respect for being prepared to have a go rather than just look clueless and flutter your eyelashes at a male.

Also, "are you cute?" ;) and :wrthless: :D

Hi Ken,

Yes I'm cute (obviously!) ;) and yes I might have to resolve to flutting my eyelashes at a male if nothing else will help :rofl:

Seriously though I have read so much stuff about my car now that I will soon become a mechanic myself :D And then I will open my very own 'women only' garage! ;)