Stiff handbrake

I got in my car this morning and pulled off the drive, applied the handbrake which has suddenly become very stiff to take off.

The car is driven daily with normally two or three journeys and have never had any problems with the handbrake. It is normally on a flat drive overnight and stored in first gear and the handbrake off.

I drove the car on three separate occaisions at different times of the day yesterday and all was working perfectly. I left the car overnight in first gear with the handbrake off, as normal. Then when I drove the drive this morning the handbrake has become very stiff as above.

Is this a major issue, or do I need to apply some lubrication somewhere (on the car!)? The main issue is that I am planning on driving down to Cambridge tonight and don't have time to get to a garage before I go.

Cheers, Andy