Mk1 Octy vRS versus Fabia vRS

I know I know, pop corn, kittehs the lot... this threads slightly different though and I'm allowed to post because I own both!

We'd been over at the 'rents for a weekend of car booting (joy! :thumbdwn:) and on the way home I was following SWMBO who was in the Fabia. We stopped at a set of crossroads (may have just been rolling) for someone to turn off and then we both accelerated. I was expecting the Octy to reel the Fabia in fairly quickly but it didn't really happen! It was pretty much dead even acceleration-wise, I was just starting to creep up on her as we approached NSL! Both cars are standard engine-wise apart from the Fabia having a PD160 intake and the Octy having a Milltek non-res cat-back. The only thing in the Octy's defense is that it did have a bootload of unsold crap (but not really heavy) and it does have just over 100k on the clock but should be fairly healthy as I recently changed plugs, oil and coil packs. I guess the only real way to confirm things would be to RR both of them but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? It left me feeling impotent and disappointed lol. :rofl:

The Fabia has huge lumps of acceleration but understeers more so won't go round a corner as fast as the Octi. It's not a surprise that it equalled you, the 0-60 times are only something like 1/2 a second apart iirc so whats that in real terms? half a car length or so.

In the twisties you would have started to move away steadily.

Octy estate 0-60 is 7.7s IIRC. Fabia is 9.2 according to Parkers. The Octy will do 60+mph in 2nd gear whereas the Fabia will have to fit another change in to hit 60. To say I was surprised was an understatement! SWMBO is not renowned for being a fast driver so I refuse to believe she's better at gear changes than I am! :P

Fabia is more like 8.6sec. The furby can suprise people. Not saying its faster or better in any way just saying it can supprise people.

Had many good drives with Octy owners. I tend to find on smooth long sweeping corners thats were the Octy really shines over the furby.

It's all about the mid range though, which is very strong in the Furby - if you'd both have pulled a full-bore standing start you'd have got ahead, but I imagine you'd have pulled away as normal and then floored it.

Yeah, it wasn't a proper full bore standing start. It was an "Oh, you've put your foot down, I will too" type thing.

**edit** Also it's possible that she'd planned a bit better and was still rolling in 2nd whereas I'd changed down to first.

I can't remember where the redline is on the Octy but I was a few hundred rpm off that at each change. Guess I'll have to wait for a local RR day and get a proper figure to see how many ponies have fled!

Guest westallc
No, I was keeping up with my wife... or trying to!

sorry trying to race your other half but got your **** handed to you lol:P:P:rofl:

My excuse is that I use the Fabia most of the time and it's become used to my driving style. SWMBO drives the Octy, usually slowly, so when I tried to give it some beans it wondered what the hell was going on and that's why I was beaten. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Or the fact that my wife weighs less than me and that gave her an advantage...

Anyone got any more straws I can clutch at?! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Furb has 230 ft/lb torque and the Octy only 175.

If it's in the right gear at the right time it'll pull away from you quite easily.

The Octy excels at beating the Furb at high speeds though... but we're talking Autobahn speeds here, not English public roads :eek: :thumbup:

Once upon a time people only ever talked about power, then it suddenly became fashionable to only talk about torque and forget about power! What's all that about! Pub figures used by a man trying to justify buying a crappy old diesel me thinks....

Diesel has it's uses. Trucks, trains, vans etc. Diesel is the future of high torque applications. But it is definately not the future of passenger cars.

Sorry for the random rant!! I just hate diesel cars. The future for the passenger car is in small turbocharged gasoline engines.

:P

The future for the passenger car is in small turbocharged gasoline engines.

More likely hydrogen in the long run I'd have thought

Once upon a time people only ever talked about power, then it suddenly became fashionable to only talk about torque and forget about power!

That's coz I can't get any (torque that is :rofl:)

DSCN1006.jpg

Epic Fail :mad::rofl:

It's true that power not torque is what wins the race, but against modern turbodiesels you're having to race for longer and over greater distance before you really pull ahead.

Edited by chicken_eyebrow