Drilling my airbox. V6 4motion

SCVRS

Just a question to ask everyone. I have searched a lot of posts about this on here and on MK-IVS.net but not really getting the bottom of what I need to know.

Basically I want to get a nicer sound from the V6 but can't really afford at the moment to splash out on a Miltek exhaust. So I have seen a couple of posts flying around about drilling 10p sized holes into the bottom of the airbox. Initially this seems like a mad thing to do as this will suck warm air into the system, drain power etc etc! But other people seem to think it is fine to do! All i want is more noise, I don't care too much about losing 2bhp! I want to know if it is safe to do it and whether or not anyone on here has tried it before and can tell me what the results were?

IDo you have to tell your insurance company about a CAI? or new panel filter?

Anything that is not std (or to std spec) needs to be informed.

So an aftermarket paper air filter would be fine, a K&N/Pipercross/Green etc would not and would need declaring.

If you drill it the insurance companies could see it as a modification in the event of a claim, whereas a pipercross or similar panel filter can be quickly removed and replaced for a standard filter :thumbup:

fair point i guess. Although is it REALLY a modification that the insurance man will care about? I mean it is just a standard airbox with some holes in it! No power gains to be had!

I take it that you aren't keen on them then?

No, it wasn't that.

It just made me laugh because I remembered an episode of The Simpsons when Homer joins Clown College, becomes a Krusty look-a-like and gets the Mob after him.

Anyway, he's demanding a new car at a showroom because he's 'Krusty' and the mob fires a load of bullets through the car and the salesman tells him they're 'speed holes' .

So cut to the next scene where Homer's attacking his family car with a pickaxe to make 'speed holes'. :rofl::rofl:

But I personally wouldn't go drilling my airbox if I was you. It's made like that for a reason and I think it'll **** up the air flow and sensors. Go for the CAI or some other route :thumbup: