Uneven wheel clearance on rear

Hammett

Just had front springs done, one broke at the bottom, the other at the top, both within days!!! Got the car back, pretty happy with the job done. Decided to check the clearance between the wheel arch and wheel, pretty even as I could see. Then decided to check the rear clearance and noticed it out by a few cms. Remembered about 18 months ago getting 1 rear coil done, should of done both thinking back, don't know why I didn't.

Was wondering is there any thing to do to make the gap smaller, or would it even be worth considering getting the only original sping on the back replaced?

Any thoughts or views would be greatly appreciated :)

Guest westallc

always replace in pairs as this it what happens. to rectify you will need 2 new rear springs it that simply if you relace just the one it will be the same but on the other side..

:thumbup:

Surely replacing the only original spring would minimise the gap? Might get em to do 1 then check, then again I guess springs take time to settle in? More likely that I'll live with it and if I ever have £300 spare may get it sorted. Thanks for making me realise the obvious :)

Surely replacing the only original spring would minimise the gap? Might get em to do 1 then check, then again I guess springs take time to settle in? More likely that I'll live with it and if I ever have £300 spare may get it sorted. Thanks for making me realise the obvious :)

Keep checking ebay as these springs come up often if you don't mind fitting used springs. They go quite cheap. A few cm's out will not settle over time that is quite a bit. 5mm maybe ok but i would of thought you could feel that uneven when driving?

Edited by Bowders1

My front spring broke. Apart from the noise when driving there was a noticeable difference of a couple cm's between front LHS & RHS.

I replaced both springs & my 'good' spring was 5mm shorter than the new ones. Car was about 7 yrs old at the time.

Have you thought about changing both rears but doing it yourself? I've not done it but changing the fronts wasn't that tough & the rears are meant to be a lot easier to do.

I think 18 months is probably a bit too long to get away with changing just the one unless you've done very little mileage.

My front spring broke. Apart from the noise when driving there was a noticeable difference of a couple cm's between front LHS & RHS.

I replaced both springs & my 'good' spring was 5mm shorter than the new ones. Car was about 7 yrs old at the time.

Have you thought about changing both rears but doing it yourself? I've not done it but changing the fronts wasn't that tough & the rears are meant to be a lot easier to do.

I think 18 months is probably a bit too long to get away with changing just the one unless you've done very little mileage.

Changing the rear is a doddle. Less than 30 min if you have jack, axles stands and a few sockets.

All you need to do is remove the bottom shock bolt so the rear wishbone can be lowered to allow removal of the rear spring.

You don't need to remove brake lines. A decent large screw driver will come in handy to lever out the springs. Job done