Hot bonnet on 1.4 TSI

Just got a new shape Octavia with a 1.4 TSI engine and noted the bonnet is getting very hot but not immediately over the turbo, more the whole bonnet offside.

Yesterday after a run town-to-town on A-roads the bonnet warmth was average, but the bonnet was too hot to keep a hand on on a previous similar run using a bit of motorway, but no long cruising at 70.

Is this 'hot-bonnet' normal for a TSI or new shape Octavia? BTW no 'hot' showing on the temperature dial, just normal. Haven't used the heater at all yet though.

Have not noticed it especially hot, only the same as any other car I've had. If I intend cleaning the car straight after a run, I keep an eye on it and it soon cools down ready for washing.

Noticed your membership name - wasn't it Icarus who flew too near the sun and his wax wings melted?

[.

Noticed your membership name - wasn't it Icarus who flew too near the sun and his wax wings melted?

Yeah,have you been driving too near the sun? Maybe it's not the bonnet you should be worried about but the wings:D

Have not noticed it especially hot, only the same as any other car I've had. If I intend cleaning the car straight after a run, I keep an eye on it and it soon cools down ready for washing.

The smell of burning paint alerted me. It was 'hot' today. I got a thermometer on it reading 45C although it felt hotter. Ambient was 20C at the time. It's hot enough you wouldn't want to hold your hand on it, like it had been in the sun on a very hot day. Just the offside toward the bottom. The nearside is ok.

Yep. I got a stress related illness so the 'icarusi' handle fitted for various forums I joined and easy to remember.

Have got a engine pad on the bonnet? i know on the pre FL ones in about 2008 they deleted the pad to save cash - the petrol ones to demo had in 08 and when mine came no longer fitted. I god it got hot, extra sound and tinnes to bonnet too. Cost me £23 and much better now.

James.

I've noticed that there are some 'tabs' on the underside of the bonnet that look as if they might be to fit extract soundproofing. I presumed that this was just for diesel engined cars though.

Has the extra pad made a significant difference to the sound (given that there isn't a lot of engine noise anyway) and do you think there may be a risk of overheating ?

£23 isn't bad, I presume it's a genuine Skoda part, if so do you have a part number ?

There is no under bonnet pad on my 1.4TSi which certainly does not need it for sound insulation purposes - I assume it's the same with the 1.8TSi's ?

Is it supplied as standard on the noisier face lift diesels :confused:

It's a little known feature of the FL Octys, designed to prevent stray cats in the neighbourhood scratching your paint or leaving undesirable paw marks :rofl:

Most useful in the coming months as weather gets cold again :thumbup:

PS: no animals were harmed during R&D of this feature, although a few did lose some fur after it smouldered :gapteeth:

Hi,

This old posting will help, if that is FL has same bits:

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/2008-model-naked-bonnet/89954/

Part number was in Dec 08 1Z0863831 and listed on mr dealer computer as "SOUND ABSO". Came with all the clips etc and took about 3 mins to fit on a cold winters day, also the car getting warming quicker with it fitted too, seeing as winter coming and all.

James.

Still getting the 'hot bonnet' in the same place but not all the time. Sometimes the bonnet is normal temperature after a run, other times hot. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it's hot and when not. I'm suspecting there's something re the ventilating of the engine compartment. Some times it gets adequately ventilated, other times heat 'collects' under the offside of the bonnet.

I have an electronic thermometer so I'll try taping the sensor under the bonnet and checking how and why the temperature is changing during a run.

I was mooching about under the bonnet today after a short run, the last part was mainly a hill climb, and the bonnet wasn't particularly hot, but I did find a small hose (on top of the main hose) which connects into the coolant expansion tank, giving off a lot of heat. At the other end it connects to the thin metal pipes crossing the front, connecting into the turbo (I think), again giving off a lot of heat.

The thin hose may actually be touching the underside of the bonnet, so the heating of the bonnet could be conduction rather than convection, and the thin metal pipes would explain why so much heat is present at the offside when the turbo is at the nearside.

I know there's some circuitry required to cool the air in the compressor. Usually air is heated at some stage in a combustion system to improve cold weather starting/running. Is there another thermostat governing that circuit, other than the main thermostat governing the engine cooling and car heating system?

• 2 years later...

hi there i just bought my MY11 90TSI on the wknd and have noticed after every drive the bonnet is extremly hot.

has anyone had any more udpates on this topic.

i am just concerned of longevity of the engine if it is getting this hot all the time.