Any Decorators about?

cjb

Today I though I'd start painting our hall, so I got out the sander, the filler, the sugar soap, the dustsheets et al.

First target for paint is the ceiling. I filled the holes and cracks, and set to cutting in the edges. So far so good.

Out with the roller, and as I paint the previous coat that was previously formly attached comes away onto the roller in sheets. Further inspection shows the last coat to be cheap paint, and below that there's what looks like whitewash (the house is late 19th century) that didn't have any primer/sealer on it by the looks of things. I say it's whitewash as it feels very chalky to touch.

I'm now left with a large area of paint that has fallen off and the remaining area of ceiling that still needs painting.

I think I've had this before in this house, and then I scraped off what was looseish (tiresome!) feathered the edges with filler, and brushed the paint carefully.

Anyone got a better idea? The paint will scrape off down to the whitewash, but that's hard going, and the only thing that makes it fall off is new paint being applied, it would seem.

I think I have some of that stuff. I'll give it a go.

I'm no expert :rofl: but did post a thread on here but from what you describe it was coming of in the same way. I tried a few things, thinned paint, pva sealing coat, even put pva in the emulsion. The polycell stuff didn't prevent the problem but was thick enough to keep it sort of in place and the second coat covered up the slight bulges.

One thing I would say is that other ceilings done previously with silk emulsion did not suffer as badly as the matt emulsion ones.

We had the same throughout most of downstairs, the trick wiith the steamer is to put it on the paint so around 2 - 4' has been steamed, it then peels off in one go with very little effort (easier than wallpaper) i then gave the walls 2 coats of PVA thinned 50/50 with water, then painted over the top.

HTH.

I've now got the paint off down to the distemper. A word of warning for anyone else who finds this:

1. It creates a horrible mess- flakes of paint and dust. Lots of it.

2. Apparently, PVA is no good to seal or stabilise distemper. The only fix for distemper is either Zinser Gardz, or Artex Stabilex, unless you scrub it all off :(. I'm trying to find a local supplier for Stabilex.

Look near the masonry paints in B&Q - their own brand stabilising solution (£11 for 2.5l) will do the job just fine. Best 2 coats, you might have to work the first in a bit - it might appear that it's being 'repelled' but stick with it (so to speak!).