Steaming fuel cooler - is this normal?

As today is the first coolish and damp day I have driven my VRS (as I have only had it since the spring), is it normal for the fuel cooler to steam in wet weather?

When I stopped at work this morning, there were clouds of steam coming from the fuel cooler under the drivers seat area of the body. The cooler wasn't too hot (I'd gues about 45-50°C by touch) but there was clouds of 'steam' coming from it. Maybe just the weather conditions causing it?

It was strange that the steam seemed to be coming from the cooler and not the exhaust which would obviously normal during wet weather.

It could well be that the exhaust etc. is so hot that no moisture stays on it long enough to 'steam', whereas the fuel cooler, being that bit - err - cooler, is just enough to up the evaporation rate and give you nice wispy clouds, but not enough to flash the moisture instantly... :ne_nau:

Nothing else up with the car, I take it? No rough running, warning lights or WHY? :)

It could well be that the exhaust etc. is so hot that no moisture stays on it long enough to 'steam', whereas the fuel cooler, being that bit - err - cooler, is just enough to up the evaporation rate and give you nice wispy clouds, but not enough to flash the moisture instantly... :ne_nau:

Nothing else up with the car, I take it? No rough running, warning lights or WHY? :)

Nothing else at all. It was just as I was getting out of the car that I was stood in quite a cloud. I guess it could be like the days when you get a lot of steam from your headlights. Only happens once in a while not when the rain is heavy.

My missus has an Octy II VRS PD and we've had a few VW TDI's with various engines and I've never seen this before and I should think that most would have a similar fuel cooler setup.

I'll just put it down to the combination of rain, temperature and pressure and see if it happens again

normal , the fuel that isn't used by the injectors gets returned to the fuel tank, this fuel has been heated by the engine, so will be quite warm , hence it is cooled before returning to the tank