New Octavia Estate TDI 1.9 PD owner

Manske

Hello,

I'm just about to pick up my new (used) car, an 2005 Octavia Estate TDI 1.9 105 PD Elegance. It has already 101k on the clock but seems to drive very well. The seller was disappointed to see it go but his wife wanted to keep her BMW and he couldn't afford to run two cars any more. When he showed me the car he couldn't stop praising all the extra features the Skoda has (and the BMW hasn't). I offered him the Parkers Good price. Initially refused but he phoned back a week later, his other buyers had pulled out so was willing to go lower. You don't see many for sale here. I assume owners are happy to hang on to their cars for longer.

I only read positive stories about the Octavia and the TDI 1.9 PD engine. People complain about noise but there is not much of it. Really, I'm a motorcyclist too and love a bit of V-twin rumble and the 1.9 TDI is docile compared!

My only concern is this, the engine type is "shared" also on the VW Passat and there have been lots of sob-stories of failing Passat engines. My mate bought a 100k 2004 Passat with 1.9 TDI and had injectors fail (£1500) and then he got a diesel leak into the sump which caused the engine to seize at 180k. He got a "mates rate" engine repair at £3500. He told me it was a well-known problem with older 1.9 TDI engines. Interestingly I do not hear any Skoda owners complain about this. Do the Skoda engines use different components or have they learned from the failings of the 2004 model and made later models more reliable?

Anyway I'll use it mainly as a family car for longer trips. Two kids in the back and lots of baby gear should work fine.

I hope to pick up lots of tips from other Skoda owners here.

Cheers, Manske.

Forgot to say: virtual drinkies on me. I am in Cambridgeshire.

Saw a rallye of old-style Skodas last Sunday going through Mildenhall, just after I bought my car.

Thanks guys for the welcome!

This evening I just got delivery of my new Skoda. The owner drove it to my house. He kindly went over many of the features again with me. On parting, he said, "Nice car, I'm sorry to let it go." In the advert he wrote:

I love this car. She gives me 50+mpg, loads of umph, masses of room(equal to a BMW 5 series). The wife wants a 5 series and has won a 6 month battle. I still prefer to drive this than the BMW, and thats speaking as a previous BMW owner. Maintenance on this [skoda] in the last 12 months: Nil Maintenance so far on the Beamer(since July) a tad under £2k! I'm not running two cars and she won't part with the expensive one. So it has come to this I am sorry to say. Any questions don't be afraid to call, come and have a look and a drive. Please, only serious buyers, this is painful enough as it is, planned on keeping this at least until I'm 60.

He told me a tyre pressure sensor on the Beemer had gone just now, setting him back another £120. In desperation he wondered if that was going to be the last expense on that moneypit. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm so excited! Can't wait to go drive my new toy :D

I read about the Bury meet on the 18th. I shall be in Holland that weekend so I won't be able to come. I'll keep an eye on any events in the Eastern region.

I hope I can bring the Skoda to Holland. The wife wants me to go in her Polo :( so we can share the driving.

Well whatcha doing on here then???? .....get out there & drive it !!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Ehh, it doesn't have a tax disk yet. Seller has ordered it online and will it bring around when he gets it. Don't want to get done for "failure to display". And another lame excuse: I haven't read the manual just yet :o

Cheers, Manske

In reference to your earlier posts. There will always be one-off issues, quite possibly arising due to dodgy maintenance. I see the Passat is more popular as a fleet car than the octavia, so we all know how well people treat a company car compared to one they might actually have to keep for 3-5 years!

Enjoy your new toy. I've the same model, has it had the cambelt changed - it's due at 4 years old or 80k miles - just slightly concerning he didn't mention that in terms of maintenance.

Hi Burnsey,

There will always be one-off issues, quite possibly arising due to dodgy maintenance.

This car has been fleet car too until 95k but always Skoda dealer maintained

has it had the cambelt changed - it's due at 4 years old or 80k miles - just slightly concerning he didn't mention that in terms of maintenance.

Yes, the service schedule mentioned cambelt at 80k so all is well. I am thinking of going to yearly maintenance service so at least I get an oil change in every year. Good idea?

Cheers, Manske

Hi Burnsey,

This car has been fleet car too until 95k but always Skoda dealer maintained

Yes, the service schedule mentioned cambelt at 80k so all is well. I am thinking of going to yearly maintenance service so at least I get an oil change in every year. Good idea?

Cheers, Manske

Thats good news.

I would service it at least annually depending on your mileage. I've mine on variable, but thats cause I do 20k miles a year, and so on variable i get between 16 and 20k miles between services, so about 11 months between services. I wouldn't want to go 2 years without it being on the ramp even if I was doing 10k a year I'd probably get it checked over annually.

Enjoy

I wouldn't want to go 2 years without it being on the ramp even if I was doing 10k a year I'd probably get it checked over annually.

Thanks for the comment. That's probably what I will end up doing, annual service for lowish mileage.

Got the tax disk today from the seller with a note:

Road Tax Disc

Enjoy your car

I MISS IT!

;)