New DMF and now Clutch Judder??

purevrs

Hi everyone!

Ive owned my 2007 VRs from new and it is completely standard with 40k miles

A couple of weeks ago I had a new DMF fitted under warranty as I was getting a harsh vibration at around 2-2500rpm.The techies said the clutch was 100% and not worth replacing at this stage as the car is on the motorway 90% of the time.

The DMF has stopped the vibration but I now notice clutch judder when pulling away in 1st which wasnt there before, and it seems to be slightly worse when the engine is stone cold. There is also a slight judder in reverse but not as harsh as 1st. No problems with going through the box and no vibration/judder at any other times.

What do you guys think it could be?? I always like to go to a dealer with a bit of ammunition lol

Thanks for any and all replies :thumbup:

There are many possibilities - e.g. clutch pressure plate damaged, contamination (with oil) of friction surface, pressure or centre plate twisted slightly when refitting gearbox (by letting the box 'hang' on the input shaft).

Without stripping it down its hard to say.

I must say that it was bad advice to replace the flywheel without replacing the clutch. A full clutch kit is not that expensive, at the very least I would have replaced the centre plate and release bearing.

+1 never fit a new DMF without doing the clutch and release bearing. The good news is, it may settle down, as the clutch beds onto the new DMF facing. Try a few aggressive launches as that often cures it.

Thanks for responses guys!

I was told that the clutch wasnt damaged by the DMF failure therefore couldn't be claimed for under warranty and they could see no reason why she would need a new clutch anyway.

Followed your advice moggytech and after a couple of "enthusiastic" launches the juddering is now much less noticeable! :thumbup:

Thanks for responses guys!

I was told that the clutch wasnt damaged by the DMF failure therefore couldn't be claimed for under warranty and they could see no reason why she would need a new clutch anyway.

Followed your advice moggytech and after a couple of "enthusiastic" launches the juddering is now much less noticeable! :thumbup:

Excellent, probably just oily finger syndrome on the linings. :thumbup:

Juddering was one of my Octy,s symptons before the dealer converted mine under warranty to single mass flywheel and a new clutch assembly.Nows its like a totally different car and silky smooth clutch now.

They should have put a new clutch in yours too its common sense too.

Juddering was one of my Octy,s symptons before the dealer converted mine under warranty to single mass flywheel and a new clutch assembly.Nows its like a totally different car and silky smooth clutch now.

They should have put a new clutch in yours too its common sense too.

Are the flywheels fitted under warranty the same as what would have been fitted to the car in the factory or are the of slightly different design? I heard that there was a stronger, redesigned DMF issued after VAG started getting all the claims for them :confused: