Roomster 1.9 SE Wheel sizes/comfortable ride

clinkham

Sorry if this has been aired before,but couldn't spot anything the the list.

About to order Roomster 1.9SE - just ticking off the factory fit options when I came to upgrade from standard 15" alloys to option for 16" 6.5J alloys. Had a bad experience with last car where 16" alloys with a 'skinny' tyre on caused a very hard ride (see also Honest John thoughts on this). Ended up getting set of 15" off ebay.

So my questions are - what size of tyre is fitted on the 16" option and how does the Roomster drive with the 16" fitted.

I reckon the car looks better with the larger wheels (and the publicity people seem to think so to - all the publicity shots show the 16" fitted), but not at the expense of a bone jarring ride every time humps and bumps or potholes traversed.

Reading comments on here, think I am also going for tyre pressure sensors and a spare wheel.

Thanks in advance

John

The Roomster has the same 5x100 PCD and stud pattern as the fabia vRS.

I would therfore assume that the 16" Roomster wheels would come with 205/45/16 the same as the standard 16" Fabia vRS wheels.

I'm sure Martin (Decron) will be along in a minute to confirm as his Roomster Scout is running 16" wheels

My Roomster Scout with 17" wheels has 205/40/17, the same fitment tyre for the 17" wheels now on my fabia.

I hope that makes sense and HTH

I thought the Roomster had 16inch as standard with 17inch as options. Mine had 16s and I didn't have to pay any extra for them.

I have read somewhere on the forum that the ride is hard with 17s. Mine is comfortable on its 16s.

I'm happy with the ride on 16" wheels as well.

Remember you will need to specify the centre rear head restraint if you want it - it's not standard.

When I buy my next new Skoda, I will have a "NO STICKERS" clause written into the contract. My new Roomy came with six dealer stickers and add-ons, some of which were held in place with elephant glue. I had the d1ckens of a job removing the sticker from the rear window as it partly covered the heater element. HTH

Thanks for the prompt and useful replies. I've sort of worked out that the 15" tyre profile is 107.25mm/4.22" 'high'. The 16" profile is 92.25mm/3.63" , which gives a difference of 0.59" between the two. (of course this assumes my maths are up to scratch).

Particularly as you guys seem to be happy with the ride, and there only seems to be just over half an inch difference in the 'height' of the 15" and 16" tyres, I think I wll add another £200 to my order.

Using an online tyre size checker it suggests that the overall diameter of the 16" wheel/tyre is 5mm smaller that the 15" wheel/tyre.

I shall stop now as I am losing myself, and possibly my audience! I don't want a reputation of being an anorak!

Thanks once again:thumbup: