how much would a new motherboard..

sms

Laptop motherboards are not an easy to come by part, so chances are you're probably better off binning the laptop.

What are the symptoms for you to think your graphics card is dead? Have you checked the cables between the LCD and the main board?

If you want to change the board, you might well find you can pick one up either on e-bay or at the laptop spares websites. Problem being it will probably cost £200 + and that means you might as well just look at a new lappy.

its the same symptons that i had a few years ago when the graphics card went, it starts up ok and after about 30 seconds the screen goes to that of a zx spectrum when the game crashed and then you can make up 5-10 seconds later it reseting on a bluescreeen with lots of text displayed and then starts to reboot. As soon as swmbo told me what it was doing i knew what it was as it was the same as when it went when it was under warrenty and the motherboard was replaced due to the graphics card being built in.

Just need to hope nothing valuable was on it, but now have some thing that i cant use as it doesnt like vista and the laptop with the dead graphics card was a xp. :(