Fiats New Multiair Engine...

sharkrider

some people say it could be as important as commonrail technology (which fiat were innovators of) in the punto abarth it could be 200bhp, low emmisions and 50 mpg! wow..... hope it lives up to those stats, there will of course be lower power versions, including a 2 cylinder turbo with 105 bhp.. http://www.4wheelsnews.com/abarth-500-and-grande-punto-will-receive-powerful-multiair-engines/

I'm really excited about this engine. My first car was an Uno 45 and always had a soft spot for Fiats. Love small cars and a little twin with 105 bhp would be an absolute riot methinks. Will be trying on as soon as it comes out. If they fit it to the little sub 500 class car they are planning you would have a serious little piece of kit. :D

I am really looking forward to this Sharky (long ime by the way) I read a test on the 1.4 version that is coming out in the MITO which puts out 187 BHP from 1.4 litres but it is the twin that makes me excited. Modern Twins can be made quite smooth (thinking of Triumph motorbikes and the 4 stroke twins in Jap outboards) but they still have character. A 900cc engine with 105 bhp would be terrific and if they put it in the planned sub 500 class car it would be a serious piece of kit. :D

some people say it could be as important as commonrail technology (which fiat were innovators of) in the punto abarth it could be 200bhp, low emmisions and 50 mpg! wow..... hope it lives up to those stats, there will of course be lower power versions, including a 2 cylinder turbo with 105 bhp.. http://www.4wheelsnews.com/abarth-500-and-grande-punto-will-receive-powerful-multiair-engines/

It will need some balancing if it is only two cylinders. I am not sue on the cubic capacity not that it matters that much as at the end of the day it s the performance and running costs that matter to most, their are many high performing engines that produce more power and excellent fuel economy and do not need midget cars to excel. Take the BMW one series 123d. it has a 2 liter all alloy TDi offering 204bhp @ 4400 rpm thats 101 bhp/L. 295 lb ft @ 2000rpm. It can drive a reasonably heavy hatch to near on 150 mph and a 0 - 60 in under 7 seconds with a combined cycle of 54.3mpg and will achieve better is easily tuned for far higher performance. I think I know which one I might prefer but I accept we all have different desires.

It will need some balancing if it is only two cylinders. I am not sue on the cubic capacity not that it matters that much as at the end of the day it s the performance and running costs that matter to most, their are many high performing engines that produce more power and excellent fuel economy and do not need midget cars to excel. Take the BMW one series 123d. it has a 2 liter all alloy TDi offering 204bhp @ 4400 rpm thats 101 bhp/L. 295 lb ft @ 2000rpm. It can drive a reasonably heavy hatch to near on 150 mph and a 0 - 60 in under 7 seconds with a combined cycle of 54.3mpg and will achieve better is easily tuned for far higher performance. I think I know which one I might prefer but I accept we all have different desires.

You are a very serious person Anthony.

Edited by Lady Elanore

some people say it could be as important as commonrail technology (which fiat were innovators of) in the punto abarth it could be 200bhp, low emmisions and 50 mpg! wow..... hope it lives up to those stats, there will of course be lower power versions, including a 2 cylinder turbo with 105 bhp.. http://www.4wheelsne...ltiair-engines/

As a long time Fiat fan it’s nice to see Fiat being innovative again. They did so much that people forget. Didn’t they invent the direct injection for diesels in small production engines?

I do wish they hadn’t tweaked the front of the GP and made it more aggressive, it was soooo pretty before. I like the sound of the 2 cylinder engine, but I always had a soft spot for the 2 CV as well

The 2 cylinder was originally designed for the sub 500 car thats comming out Matt, so will be interesting to see what its like! I'm hankering after a drive of the 1.4 in the punto abarth, which should be Mito spec at circa 190bhp :) Someone at work has a new mito, and I agree with lady Elanore that the new evo punto doesn't look as good as the old one, but the Mito is loveley...... as long as it doesn't spontaniously combust I would seriously consider a Mito, but then I assumbe the Abarth would be better looking than the evo punto!

The 2 cylinder was originally designed for the sub 500 car thats comming out Matt, so will be interesting to see what its like! I'm hankering after a drive of the 1.4 in the punto abarth, which should be Mito spec at circa 190bhp :) Someone at work has a new mito, and I agree with lady Elanore that the new evo punto doesn't look as good as the old one, but the Mito is loveley...... as long as it doesn't spontaniously combust I would seriously consider a Mito, but then I assumbe the Abarth would be better looking than the evo punto!

Yes i agree with you I can understand where Anthony is coming from with the BMW and it is a great engine but 105 bhp in such a small car would be fun:) plus very low fuel consumption. As I said a twin doesn't have to be rough especially if balncer shafts are fitted. The little orange Honda 600 micro car of the 70s (neighbour had one) always sounded sweet if i can remember but there again it was a Honda! :yes:

Edited by Matt Bodycombe

It’s not directly related to the multi air engine, but it is an interesting Fiat statistic. My Fiat Sedici which I bought last year (November) is currently worth exactly what I paid for it as a trade in !! Not bad for a Fiat eh emoticon-0148-yes.gif

My MiTo TS owning colleague is not amused about this new engine! Will make his pretty much redundant really, but that's a pretty nippy and frugal thing as it is - 160ish and low 40s MPG?

If those Arbarth stats hold true above, then I'll at least take a test drive - would be rude not too :D

And I'm with the consensus... they shouldn't have messed with the front of the GP!

Oh and for the record I'm still not a huge MiTo fan, even after a trip round the block. Didn't feel alive as I think a 'FIAT' (cough, Alfa!) should and it looks like it's had a bad fright ;) - interior quality and overall fit & finish were impressive though.

Steve

if you go here http://www.fiat.co.uk/Showroom/#showroom/punto_evo/explore click exterior, then performance than the tag on the engine, then the little box on the bottom left of the popup, it gives the stats. the version of the engine giong in the basic sporting is 1.4 turbo (obviously, but they have deleted the deisel in mine, as this has just as much fuel economy and less emissions, so the 1.9 deisel becomes pointless!) 135bhp, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, 50.4 average mpg, and 129kgs CO2 so £35 to tax! note: all the evos have stop start, first in class I beleive to be standard accross the range (unless the mini is stop start accross the range... I think its just on some models) , same with the blue & me in mine, they've always had USB / bluetooth connectivity , media centre and voice control, and some other manufacturers are just catching up..... wonder if ford for example will now follow suit and make all fiesta stop/start ect.....

• Like 1