Funny Temp Gauge Issue

eltax90

Hi folks. My wife went out in her MY02 As Tdi (100) today and when she left the coolant warning light came up on the dash. I talked her through checking the coolant level, it's fine, so i told her to drive it and watch for the gauge to creep above the normal "90", if it did so i told her to pull over straight away.

She drove it around 8 miles to her mum's (normally plenty enough to warm it up) but the gauge never reached the normal point. It got to about the quarter mark, then dropped back down into the blue section over 30 seconds or so, then went back up to the quarter mark. It didn't go any further after this.

She's not come back in the car, so i can't get VAG-COM onto it until the morning. Anyone offer any idea's on what it might be? First thoughts are thermostat, so i might try and pick one up tomorrow.

Thoughts appreciated.

Mine is having the same problems at the moment but the coolant light has not come on. After putting a similar thread on here I got an interesting reply saying that all the Diesel cars at his work have been having the same symptoms yet the petrol ones are fine (I assumed they were not all Skodas if any at all). I have now put it down to the cold weather we are having at the moment. I was out for 2 hours yesterday and my guage never got above 1/4. If I stopped in traffic it just dropped back to the bottom. I will see what its like when it warms up a little. (My thermometer was showing -6 when I got home last night).

ya mine is doing the same in my octavia vrs, coolant light came on and buzzed but all levels are fine, if i leave it running 4 a few minutes till the car heats up it goes off again hopefully its just the cold messing with the sensor

Hi folks,

I have not used my octavia 110 at all yesterday and when I just went out to start it, after just a few seconds the temperature warning came on and gave three beeps. A check under the bonnet revealed no immediate problems, so just wonder if its the cold as some others have said. maybe someone can respond. thanks