Plans for the Octy...

Wiss91

Picked up a 2001 Octavia vRS this weekend, sensible milage, sensible price.

Few little things I plan to get sorted on it within the coming few weeks or so...

1) Booked in for a new set of front tyres, almost ironically had to drive 15 miles in the snow tonight on the bald ones...

2) Sort the Wipers! Found a really good thread on here about cleaning/regreasing the linkage etc. Hopefully should be able to manage it.

3) Thorough service/valet.

4) Sort out a few niggly little rattles and intermittent wierd noises...

5) If I decide on keeping it, a remap?

Not the most exciting thread in the world I know, should keep my busy for a bit though...

Nice, sounds like a good buy.

1) Front tyres can be fun, getting though quite a few on my car. Currently running Pirelli Pzero Rossos, and very impressed.

2) The wiper on the rear also goes as the motor fills with water and slowly seizes up.

3) What colour vRS did you get? Black is a nightmare to keep clean, wished I got a silver one now!

4) I have had quite a few problems with mine wih niggly things going wrong.You should find all the answers on this forum, or if not try VWVortex which is also another good site.

5) Remap is good value for money, just need to be a bit more aware of putting the power down otherwise refer to point 1 again, Tyres get eaten very quickly!

Bought a Red one, but couldnt really afford to be fussy because of my budget constraints. Bit of polish and some elbow grease and it should come out quite nicely...

I owned a Seat Leon around 9 months ago, so I'm getting used to all the niggly VAG troubles again :p

A word on the cambelt...It was sold on eBay as having had one done, there is a Gates sticker with a date and milage that fit in to what service history there is with the car, (around 18 months ago...) how genuine do you think this is? Should there be a cause for concern?

Got some new tyres fitted today, went for some Falkens, again due to my budget constraints. Havent really had a chance to test them out due to the snow!

Not sure whether to keep the car yet. If i do then I think I'll have the cambelt done just for peace of mind really...the guy was adament it has been done, but I think everyone would be in this situation.

Nice, sounds like a good buy.

1) Front tyres can be fun, getting though quite a few on my car. Currently running Pirelli Pzero Rossos, and very impressed.

2) The wiper on the rear also goes as the motor fills with water and slowly seizes up.

3) What colour vRS did you get? Black is a nightmare to keep clean, wished I got a silver one now!

4) I have had quite a few problems with mine wih niggly things going wrong.You should find all the answers on this forum, or if not try VWVortex which is also another good site.

5) Remap is good value for money, just need to be a bit more aware of putting the power down otherwise refer to point 1 again, Tyres get eaten very quickly!

Agree with all those points.

Tyres wear out a lot quicker with more power. Mine latest around 10 months.

Glad I bought silver especially in this weather. Trying to get grip with my coilover suspension on the icy bits was very interesting.

Wiss91, Keep the Red VRS car you will get used to it. It grows on you.