Drivers Door Central Locking Issues

zaaz

Hi, I'm new to this forum, having just bought a 53 plate Octavia VRS.

Only problem with it at the moment is that the drivers door will only lock/un-lock with the key. I thought I could live with it, but with the cold weather and rain, my patience has run out!

I've removed all the door card (only breaking the tweeter housing, if anybody knows where I can buy a replacement cheap, that'll be great) but now I'm stuck. I've taken the 8-way connector off on the bottom of the central locking unit, and the connections look clean enough.

Does anybody have the pin-outs so I can check its getting power ok? Or are these units prone to failure, and need to be replaced? Any other checks I should be doing?

Cheers in advance,

Russ

Edited by zaaz

hi russ

I have the same problem on a vrs 51 octavia, but mine was kind of done intentionally as i kept gettin a more annoying constant clicking of the locking mechanisms locking and unlocking. I've read on here that this can be due to either door microswitches or in my case probably the central convenience control unit. search for this in the forums and it may give you some suggestions. I've had a garage look at mine and they weren't sure what was causing the problem. so i'm reluctant to buy a new unit as they are 50-200 quid depending from where you buy them. i'm no mechanic and deffinately don't know about electronics either.

hope this helps a bit

let me know if you get it sorted

jfgarford

Cheers for that.

Now that the rain has stopped, I've had a bit more of a look at the door. I've taken a tester to the door solenoid connector, and there is a range of voltages there, which fluctuate when the central locking buttons are pressed, so I presume there is no problem with the supply?

Also, when the solenoid is disconnected, the red light flashes happily when the car is locked. As soon as the solenoid is back connected, the light goes out.

When it's connected, the key and the fob locks that door, and all the other doors. When its disconected, the fob does the other doors fine.

All other windows, interior lights, mirrors, etc work fine, so can I say with some certainty its the door solenoid? Am trying to figure out how to remove it. 2 screws (which llok like Torx but aren't) on the outer edge of the door, anything else?

Cheers.

Hi, apologies for posting this in 2 forums, but new to the forum, and also to Skodas in general.

I've just bought a 53 plate Octavia VRS, very nice car, which I'm thrilled to get.

But. . . . . The remote locking didn't lock the drivers door.

I've taken the door card off, and the connector for the solenoid looks ok, but does have signs of moisture. When it's disconnected, the red light flashes happily when the car is locked. It doesn't work at all when the solenoid is plugged back in.

When the unit is connected, the fob will lock the remaining 3 doors, but need to use the key to lock drivers door. With unit disconnected, fob will lock other 3 doors fine.

There are a range of voltages going to the connector, which fluctuate when the fob is pressed, so I presume the supply is ok?

How easy is it to take the solenoid out? I don't recognise the 2 screw forms on the outer edge of the doot (not quite Torx bits) and not sure how to disconnect the outer handle?

Anybody know of a cheap 'net site for such things? I there anything else I should be checking?

Cheers in advance,

Russ

You need to look at the large plug on the door control unit/window motor. You may well find corroded/broken pins in the lower part of the unit or broken wires in the plug.

You were right, cheers. After taking off the rest of the plastic cover, I found the window motor, complete with about 6 or 7 corroded pins. I've taken out the bottom section of the window motor (does it have a proper name) and cleaned the pins as best I can, but it still doesn't work. The contacts on the plug still look rusty/tarnished, but not sure of the best way to clean them? Can the plug be ordered seperately and replaced? I realise there is a bit of work (26 wires to connect) but at least then I would know.

Cheers.

Both threads now merged in this forum.

No problems, cheers.

I have a 53 plate and have suffered the same problem with the drivers door only locking with the key. I have put up with this for a couple of years but it seems that now the problem could be getting worse. i have noticed that the red led on the drivers door is on constatly when the car is locked. Also I left the car un locked for a short time in the drive and when i came back to it all the windows were down! also when driving i get an intermittent problem when all the doors lock and unlock in rapid sucssesion this fault comes and goes for no apparent reason but can be repeated by using the door mirror joystick.

from the posts it seems that corrosion in the 26 way plug to the switches mounted in the door is the best place to start looking. A diy solution to cleaning up this type of problem could be lemon juice and then a coating of silicon grease.

The plug comes as part of the door loom, which is around £60 new, it plugs into the main loom behind the plastic panel where the bonnet release handle is. The door control unit is around £200. For used parts I recommend Skospares in Poole (01202) 722666, however you must get exactly the same part number for the door control unit, which I think will be 1U6959802D, this will be on the label stuck to your door control unit.

Cheers for the Skospares plug, got in touch and have ordered a loom, motor unit, and solenoid for less than £50. Whether it works or not is another matter! Whilst playing with the system again this morning, I've discovered that the drivers rear door is playing up, only unlocking or locking when it feels like it! Arse!

Will give up on this now until the new (ish) parts come after Christmas, when hopefully I can put my door back together!

New project :- New speakers front and rear, amps and subs in the (ample) boot.

Merry Christmas to all who have helped my woes.

Russ