Fabia 1.9 sdi 2001 Heater Blower slows down NOW FIXED ! ! (27/1/2020)

Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI Comfort.... Y reg (2001) Heater Fan Slows down after 20 seconds.....

The heater blower works for about 20 seconds on full blast, then slows down as though it is wired up to a failing battery. yet the battery is not failing, as it will readily start the car on the cold mornings we have had just lately.....

I have changed the resistor pack, and removed the Pollen FIlter, with no change in the situation....... (apart from the fan has a good blow pressure without the filter in place) .....

anyone else got any ideas.....?

For future reference.....

(to find the pollen filter)....

look under the passenger (uk rhd) side glove compartment, there is a black oblong shape with two slide catches, slide them to the middle, and it should drop out... L shaped piece of plastic.... the filter is fitted vertically above,and it may need a pair of pliers to pull on the little tab to bring it down, into the cab.

(to locate the resistor pack)

Remove the five T15 star bolts holding the glove compartment box in place.... (two visible under neath & three above the glove compartment inside the door).....Ease away the side panel near the door, (clips ) and then withdraw the whole glove box.....

the resistor pack is located in a very bad position above the fan, (actually inside the air vent passage) so it needs a small hand to get hold of the wires, and gently twist and turn until it appears..... withdraw completely, and the resistor pack is on the end of a plug module..... easy to change. as it only fits one way.... then carefully reverse the operation to replace....

Edited by Skodadriver

Welcome to Briskoda :thumbup:

Rare to see a new member who has checked and replaced the usual items for slow heater operation, so well done.

This has to be either [a] a failing motor or earth for motor problem or a restriction in the airflow causing the motor to overload.

First thing I would check, is the plenum chamber below the windscreen isn't clogged with leaves etc.

If that all checks out, the system consist of F2 110A on top of battery F68 25A F12 5A. There is also a control unit which is integral to the heater control panel.

Might be worth pulling the fuses and clean contacts or better still replace them (Except F2 which is a link fuse) I would also pull and clean the X contact relay, and after that try a new heater control panel.

Good luck

Welcome to Briskoda :thumbup:

Rare to see a new member who has checked and replaced the usual items for slow heater operation, so well done.

This has to be either [a] a failing motor or earth for motor problem or a restriction in the airflow causing the motor to overload.

First thing I would check, is the plenum chamber below the windscreen isn't clogged with leaves etc.

If that all checks out, the system consist of F2 110A on top of battery F68 25A F12 5A. There is also a control unit which is integral to the heater control panel.

Might be worth pulling the fuses and clean contacts or better still replace them (Except F2 which is a link fuse) I would also pull and clean the X contact relay, and after that try a new heater control panel.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply................. Merry Christmas !...

Checked the plenum cahmber, and is clear of leaves..... when the fan is running, there is a "good strong blast" of air from it.... (Pollen filter removed)..... (is it really necessary?????)

could you post a photo or two of the Fuse Locations you mention? Or send them to me as an email...... enquiries (at) nemosphotography.co.uk

as I can`t remember seeing any fuses where you say, near the battery.... checked the battery terminals, and they are "clean and tight"....

where would the "motor earth" be located?

where is the "pull and clean the X contact relay," access instructions?

and lastly, the location of the "control unit which is integral to the heater control panel." (and access instructions......?)

Whilst I would like to get it working properly, I am wondering if it is possible to wire direct to an "on / off " switch..... or bypass the (already paid for, but I may try to return it) resistor pack. back to the rotary heater control switch, so it is "on or off"... (not sure about the electrics on that, as I don`t want to put too much current through the wires, and have a fire starting under the dash...... would certainly clear the ice from the windscreen, but not a good idea ! !)

I do have a "niggling" feeling that the motor may be on it`s way out, as the car has done 135,000 miles, can you replace the brushes on it? or is it a "new" unit from a scrapyard ???

Edited by Skodadriver

The heavy duty link fuse is located on top of the battery, it's part of a BUS circuit feed direct off the battery positive terminal.

Fuse box is on the right hand side of the dash, you need to open the drivers door, and you will find a panel on the RH side of the dash. Remove this using the blade of the ignition key or a screwdriver. Fuse card should be inside, with fuse layout.

Heater earth is E3, and is on the firewall behind the heater assembly.

Heater control module is the actual panel containing the heater control dials etc. It can levered out with a couple of credit cards.

If you need all the literature, there is a decent Haynes manual for your car, or the Skoda Manuals can be downloaded from Mediafire. There are links to the manuals on here somewhere! but I'm having problems with search since the site update. There is also a fuse layout diagram as well.

Given the high mileage, a faulty heater motor is fairly likely. No spares AFAIK, it's a new motor or used one from a scrap yard.

Pollen filter isn't really required, although the airflow may be all to pot without one.

Thanks very much for the details... Just finished Christmas Dinner, (and washing up).... ! so will be looking at it tomorrow, after "resting" for the rest of the day.... Much appreicate your help and advice....

Best wishes for the rest of today, and the holiday,.......

Happy New Year, and may it be a good one for you.....

cheers

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Problem has been solved..... but at some expense !...

first I changed the resistor pack £35.00 from main dealer

then I changed the Control Panel £35.00 from scrappy

then I changed the fan unit £35.00 from scrappy

(what is it about £35 ?? ?? ?? ??)

The fan would not work in it`s normal position, but moved "slightly out of position/axis" would work perfectly..... I found this out by error !... what a costly error.....

I think the bearings must have worn slightly, and therefore were wearing the motor brushes unevenly, ..... Oh well..... working fine now.... and bags of blow because I left out the "pollen filter" !