Tyres - Where to buy in Ireland

jacko

Hi,

The tyres on my Octy 2 have are just about done. Loving the web, I spent some time searching for good tyre deals but the only decent websites/dealers were UK based. as I live in Dublin this wasn't much use. I found a couple of Irish sites but they were basically a 'home page' with no search facility (pretty pathetic really).

Having exhausted the web search route it occured to me to ask on here - (Should have thought of this sooner!)

I'm not looking for anything fancy or sporty or necessarly a cheap brand either (tyre spec 205/55R/16 91V) - Just need a pointer on the best place to buy without being ripped off. I'd consider 'going North' (Newry etc.,) if there are good deals to be had.

Hoping someone can advise,

Thanks,

Jacko

Why not buy mail order from GB or the EU and have them fitted over your side of the water.

Thanks Anthony,

I had a look at that option but having 'done the math', taking into account shipping and craftyy customs people, I thought there might not be any huge advantage. The problem in Ireland is that there is no real competition between dealers and I'm convinced there is a cartel system in place to keep profits high. That's the way it is and always has been over here.

Will look at going to the North.

Regards,

Jack

Jack,

I do not understand what it has to do with the Customs people! Their is free trade amongst EU Member States, you just pay the VAT of the country of origin, no need for any additional expense, only postage. As long as the VAT is paid in another country it does not even matter what rate as far as I am aware. VAT in GB before 01/01/2011 is 15% and probably similar in some other EU countries.

In fact for you buying in the EU has better advantages than buying in GB because their is no exchange rate for you to worry about. I am sure that their are more knowledgeable people on here than I in respects to, EU trade, VAT, Exchange rates etc. In the past I have even bought motor parts in the USA when exchange rate were good even after paying postage, VAT, Exchange rate etc. it was still far less than buying here, less than half the price and my parts arrived in GB the very next day by plane. Obviously if buying from outside of te EU one has to be aware of legal compliance of parts, tyres read (tires) and exchange rates.

Edited by Anthony 1

Jack,

I do not understand what it has to do with the Customs people! Their is free trade amongst EU Member States, you just pay the VAT of the country of origin, no need for any additional expense, only postage. As long as the VAT is paid in another country it does not even matter what rate as far as I am aware. VAT in GB before 01/01/2011 is 15% and probably similar in some other EU countries.

In fact for you buying in the EU has better advantages than buying in GB because their is no exchange rate for you to worry about. I am sure that their are more knowledgeable people on here than I in respects to, EU trade, VAT, Exchange rates etc. In the past I have even bought motor parts in the USA when exchange rate were good even after paying postage, VAT, Exchange rate etc. it was still far less than buying here, less than half the price and my parts arrived in GB the very next day by plane. Obviously if buying from outside of te EU one has to be aware of legal compliance of parts, tyres read (tires) and exchange rates.

Thanks Anhony,

Sound advice - Will explore further.

Regards,

Jack

Try Camskills.co.uk for tyres. About the best price you will find. Approx €14 for shipping, you should have them within a few days.

Regarding fitting, try http://www.discounttyres.ie/index.html, or maybe your local Skoda Dealer, should be looking at no more than €20 per tyre (should include new valves and disposal of old tyres, also have wheels balanced). I'm sure a dealer wouldn't turn there nose up at €80's worth of labour business.

Try Camskills.co.uk for tyres. About the best price you will find. Approx €14 for shipping, you should have them within a few days.

Regarding fitting, try http://www.discounttyres.ie/index.html, or maybe your local Skoda Dealer, should be looking at no more than €20 per tyre (should include new valves and disposal of old tyres, also have wheels balanced). I'm sure a dealer wouldn't turn there nose up at €80's worth of labour business.

Thanks GAFF,

Sure looks like there are huge savings to be made - I'm going to get the finger out on this as the weather is absolutely tragic at the mo!

Thanks for all the advice guys - Briskoda rules!

Jack

Edited by jacko

• 1 month later...

Hi Jacko,

Don't know if you've gotten around to changing your tyres yet.

If not I can recommend Joe Barry in Kilmoganny in County Kilkenny. I've purchased tyres from Joe for years and always found him to be way cheaper than anywhere else.

His number is 051 648300 or 087 272 0151.

Pat

The place in goatstown is very good and they will beat any price you tell them :) Most places had mu eagle F1's for well over 260 a corner and he did them for 210 :)

K:)

• 5 months later...

Finally got around to buying new tyres! - Dave McCann tyres in Coolmine, D15 do a good deal on Continental tyres - Fitted me with CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 2 - 205/55R16 91V TL for €90 each, fully fitted. Fastfit in Blanch were looking for €420 to fit 4. Heard good reports about Continentals - Will post obs later.

Just get them from camkill tyres and have them posted over!!...by far the cheapest way to do it over here!! Other than that ask the guys at advance pit stop to give you their best price!!....last time i bought F1's they came down by 60 euoro a tyre!!

Dont worry about customs and the postage from camskills is very cheap :)

K:)

Finally got around to buying new tyres! - Dave McCann tyres in Coolmine, D15 do a good deal on Continental tyres - Fitted me with CONTINENTAL PREMIUM CONTACT 2 - 205/55R16 91V TL for €90 each, fully fitted. Fastfit in Blanch were looking for €420 to fit 4. Heard good reports about Continentals - Will post obs later.

I wouldn't let that cowboy near a Smiths tractor nevermind my car. Highly recommend Discount Tyres.

Edited by GAFF