vRS out of oil - put in some 10/40 Catrol Magnatec

This morning the oil light was flashing - bonnet frozen so traveled a few miles to warm things up. checked the oil and it only just showed on the dip stick - so stopped at first garage,

They had no 5/40 (505-01) oil - so bought the closest - Castrol Magnatec 10/40. Put a litre of that in,

Then got some proper 505-01 a few miles up the road. Car runs really smooth now (silly me); it was really starting badly (not suprisingly).

I have a service due in 2000 miles - will this oil mix be OK do you think, until then?

I kind of figured any oil is better than no oil?

One litre of non 505.01 should be OK - there's something in the manual about it. As long as the oil you put in meets whatever minimum spec is in the manual (A3/B3, I think), then it's OK in theory. I'd still be inclined to get a full sump of the proper stuff at the next available opportunity, though - it's up to you and how quickly you'll rack up those 2000 miles before the next service I suppose...

When you take your car for a service, Get the garage to put a litre top up bottle in your boot,

Top-up bottle is £10.58 from the dealer, Or £14 off a garage forecourt.

One litre of non 505.01 should be OK - there's something in the manual about it. As long as the oil you put in meets whatever minimum spec is in the manual (A3/B3, I think), then it's OK in theory. I'd still be inclined to get a full sump of the proper stuff at the next available opportunity, though - it's up to you and how quickly you'll rack up those 2000 miles before the next service I suppose...

Thanks for your message.

the service would be in around 3 weeks - but I may bring it forwards a week, and get it done a little early.

When you get your car serviced, a 5 Litre bottle of Synta (or whatever oil they use) is included in the price, ask them to use use a 5 Litre bottle and give you the remaining contents left over in that bottle. That way you don't have to pay extra for a top up bottle.

I presume Skoda dealers are all independent like Volkswagen dealers so ring up nearby dealers and get quotes. To give you an example Abridge Loughton wanted £270 for a 50k service where as Alan Day City wanted £240!

Edited by nick_uk

hello DJthompson

one other thing to consider is how did you lose the oil , it may have been burned in the engine or it may have leaked out. neither is terribly desirable but i have had two instances on my octavia rs of leaks , both from an inadequately tight oil filter cover ( dealer serviced car ! ) the filter is just below the front passenger side mounting bracket for the engine cover - might be worth having a look at that.

hello DJthompson

one other thing to consider is how did you lose the oil , it may have been burned in the engine or it may have leaked out. neither is terribly desirable but i have had two instances on my octavia rs of leaks , both from an inadequately tight oil filter cover ( dealer serviced car ! ) the filter is just below the front passenger side mounting bracket for the engine cover - might be worth having a look at that.

Thanks, I'll check that. TBH I tend to top up with 500ml around about now a couple of thousand before the 10k service, and I haven't done. But the engines burnt a bit more than usual.

Coolant level is spot on.

Cheers, D