List your crap tyres for this weather!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Avon Ice Touring tyres on since the start of December. Didn't so much choose them as take the best I could find. For £73 a corner I've been really satisfied and on icy mornings I've been able to maintain my summer journey time unless the queue of cautious / less well prepared drivers gets so long overtaking becomes a reckless proposition. I towed my neighbour up a slope on sheet ice when his handbrake froze on at minus 15 C without even a slight wheel spin - it was like driving a tractor. I understand they are really at their best below 7 degrees C and they've worn fast as the temperature has risen. Awesome just serviced my car and reckoned I had 3mm at the back and 6mm at the front left. I suppose that's not bad for me as I normally use three pairs of rear tyres and two pairs at the front every year, due to bad driving, obviously. It's got me curious about Avon's summer offerings and I may try some before reverting to the Sportrac 3s.

I've had Avon Ice Touring tyres on since the start of December. Didn't so much choose them as take the best I could find. For £73 a corner I've been really satisfied and on icy mornings I've been able to maintain my summer journey time unless the queue of cautious / less well prepared drivers gets so long overtaking becomes a reckless proposition. I towed my neighbour up a slope on sheet ice when his handbrake froze on at minus 15 C without even a slight wheel spin - it was like driving a tractor. I understand they are really at their best below 7 degrees C and they've worn fast as the temperature has risen. Awesome just serviced my car and reckoned I had 3mm at the back and 6mm at the front left. I suppose that's not bad for me as I normally use three pairs of rear tyres and two pairs at the front every year, due to bad driving, obviously. It's got me curious about Avon's summer offerings and I may try some before reverting to the Sportrac 3s.

How many miles do you do? My Avon's have no noticeable wear on them in 5000miles...

They are great in the snow and even better when you overtake 4x4's up a hill :giggle:

I've just taken my Goodyear Ultragrip 7+s off the Octy today, back to OEM crappy Dunlops :-(

UltraGrip 7+ Good Points:

• Great wearing, about 0.5mm in 3.5k miles
  • Quiet, very quiet, going back to Dunlops today they roar like a good 'un compared to the Goodyears
  • Confidence inspiring grip, in all conditions but the wet handling is really special, refuses to aquaplane

UltraGrip 7+ Bad Points:

• Soft sidewalls, probably great for non Vrs owners because it makes the car very gentle over bumps but for Vrs owners it just looses that razor sharp turn in we get used to
  • Cost, they're not stupidly expensive, in fact they're middle of the road price wise, but i'm Scottish to spending money is a negative :giggle:

Thank you to mytyres.co.uk for supplying the steel wheels and tyres already mounted for a very reasonable price.

Thank you to mytyres.co.uk for supplying the steel wheels and tyres already mounted for a very reasonable price.

Would you mind divulging how much ? (roughly)

I've just bought a set of 2nd hand VW alloys (16") and now need winter tyres for them. I would have been happy to buy steels but couldn't find any on ebay that were the right size/fitment, not too far away (& collection only) or cheaper than 2nd hand alloys. If your tyre/wheel combination is reasonably priced I may get that instead and flog the alloys again.

I've probably done less than 5,000 on these. I reckon I do about 1,200 miles a month. I must say though, I used to get much better tyre wear before I got the Haldex Performance Box. My route is very hilly and bendy. I wouldn't go back to the standard 4x4 set up now though.