Wheels (Rims) Sizes

Dogboy

I have a Octavia Estate Mk1 with 205 55 16" alloys, and I want a set of steel rims for the winter to save my alloys.

I believe the alloy technical size is "6J 16 ET42". Is this the same for steel rims?

Also I understand that certain cars use the same size wheels (VW Golf mk4 and so on). So if the rims of a VW Golf have the same technical size will they fit my Octavia?

I also read somewhere else about spacing issues. As far as i can work out, as long as i have the correct rim size there should not be a spacing issue.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

They're 6.5J rims, but otherwise correct.

You can also get a same size steel from a Skoda dealer (I have one for my spare on an Elegance) which should use the same bolts. I'd suggest using 195/65s on the Winter rims.

mmm, iirc there was another thread like this mate and I think someone said that the steel ones wont go over the vRS brakes

fact sorry you didnt say if its a vRS or not, my bad

Edited by billy2981

They're 6.5J rims, but otherwise correct.

You can also get a same size steel from a Skoda dealer (I have one for my spare on an Elegance) which should use the same bolts. I'd suggest using 195/65s on the Winter rims.

Whats the benefit of using 195/65?

Edited by Dogboy

I have a Octavia Estate Mk1 with 205 55 16" alloys, and I want a set of steel rims for the winter to save my alloys.

I've been on the lookout for a while now to do the same thing. It looks like ebay has none that suit and Pistonheads doen't provide much either. I reckon the only option is a local scrappies or word of mouth to get hold of some. :doh:

mmm, iirc there was another thread like this mate and I think someone said that the steel ones wont go over the vRS brakes

fact sorry you didnt say if its a vRS or not, my bad

It's OK anyway Billy, as the 6.5"x16" ET42 VAG steels go fine over the vRS front brakes.

They're sometimes called "beetle steels", and fit pretty much anything on the A4 platform.

I've got a set of 4 at home, with no tyres. But I'm not using them and considering selling them to help pay for my clutch next week!

Always fancied getting them banded out to 8" wide!

Whats the benefit of using 195/65?

Slight mistake; you'd need 185/65 on 16s (195/65s would be on 15s), but either way the idea is to get a higher ground pressure, to reduce aquaplaning, and incease the way you'll press snow out of the car's way.

It's OK anyway Billy, as the 6.5"x16" ET42 VAG steels go fine over the vRS front brakes.

They're sometimes called "beetle steels", and fit pretty much anything on the A4 platform.

I've got a set of 4 at home, with no tyres. But I'm not using them and considering selling them to help pay for my clutch next week!

Always fancied getting them banded out to 8" wide!

thanks

Thats coz the button has gone lol

Slight mistake; you'd need 185/65 on 16s (195/65s would be on 15s), but either way the idea is to get a higher ground pressure, to reduce aquaplaning, and incease the way you'll press snow out of the car's way.

185/65/16 is not available according to mytyres :wonder:

Am I mistaken or have I seen VW Boras on 17" steels? They'd be my first choice.

You're mistaken! VAG don't make 17" steels.

Only 17" steels I know of are from an old Renault Espace!

A couple of questions.

1, Am i correct in assuming that rims for 185/65 16s are not the same as 205/55 16s (6.5J 16 ET42). If not what is the technical code.

2, Will there be any spacing issues?

Ok three questions

3, How much difference will this make to the speed i am travelling and the one shown on the speedometer?

www.camskill.co.uk did not have 185/65 16s, but did have 195/65 16s.

The correct (Skoda) size of tyre for the 6.5x16 rim is 205/55-16. Obviously no spacing issues there.

But I think Ken is trying to optimise grip in winter conditions, so going narrower to cut through the snow, slush and water.

As far as I know there's only one width available for the 16" steels. But 16" alloys appear to be available in 5.5" or 6.5" widths, within the Octavia range.

As long as you don't get silly with too narrow or too wide a tyre for the rim size, then any tyre made for a given rim diameter should fit any rim.

Decomposing 6.5J16ET42 gives 6.5 inches wide, J-section rim bead, 16 inch diameter, 42mm inset (centreline of rim is 42mm in from wheel to disc mating face).

Tyre manufacturers normally recommend that you should fit a tyre to a rim that is 70% to 95% of the tyre width, or 162.52 *0.95 to 162.52*0.70, or 175 to 225 mm tyre section (both rounded to normal tyre widths). So a 195mm section is comfortably within these limits.

It's wellish known (particularly amongst vRS owners) that the Octy's arches will accomodate a 225 section on an ET42 without clearance issues. And we're going narrower anyway.

Not much, you'll be going about 2% slower at a given indicated speed.

As long as you don't get silly with too narrow or too wide a tyre for the rim size, then any tyre made for a given rim diameter should fit any rim.

It's wellish known (particularly amongst vRS owners) that the Octy's arches will accomodate a 225 section on an ET42 without clearance issues. And we're going narrower anyway.

I get confused by the ET and J measurements and how different one can fit the same car. If I wanted some wheels for the vRS to fit winter tyres, what is the smallest ET and J dimension that would fit over the vRS brakes?

The offset (ET) dimension and rim bead section (usually a J or K IIRC) are 2 separate charactoristics of a wheel. Neither of them are relevant to how big a brake can be accomodated by a given rim. Any VAG 16 or 17 inch rim will fit over standard Octy vRS brakes.