New member and New Skoda owner

Rockyracoon

Hi to all forum members,

I have joined this forum as I have just bought a Skoda felicia as my second car, my wife drives the main family car (Renault Megane Scenic) and I have for the last 4 years ridden a Motorbike to and from work. The fact that my bike broke down (bust starter motor) coupled with the bad winter spell forced my hand and made me go out and buy the first cheap, reliable and practical car I could find. This turned out to be a Skoda Felicia Magic!

I went to my nearest garage (about 800m from my house) and looked at what he had on the forecourt (in my price range - under £1,000), a 1997 Ford Ka with 90,000 miles and no power steering for £890, A 1994 Citroen ZX Deisel with LOTS of dents and LOTS of miles, for £500, a 1998 Renault Megane with 80,000 miles for £790 and pretty good spec and a 1999 Skoda Felicia Magic hatchback with 49,000 miles and in good condition for £790.

I had a quick look at the cars, this was not easy as it was snowing and all cars were covered! I then went back home to check out the reviews online and within 30 minutes realised that the Skoda was the best car there and actually was a pretty good price. I had anticipated a long drawnout process where i would visit many garages and ponder for ages to decide what to spend my bank's money on! I went back to the garage and managed to get it for £700 with a 30 day warranty, service, 12 months MOT a dn 6 months tax. I am no expert but reckon I have not been ripped off.

I have been delighted with the car from the word go! Poky 1.3 engine, good spec (alloys, elec windows, alarm, sunroof, remote central locking etc etc). I have read many posts on this forum and have come to the conclusion that older Skodas are MASSIVELY underrated and provide excellent vaue for money.

I have washed, polished and cleaned the car, checked what works and what doesn't (only temp monitor gauge and elec window - both being repaired by dealer) and have enjoyed the ride. Hope to gain many tips from forum members and also hope the car delivers what most of you say!