Strange noise

Hi

Just got back from taking the dog out and there is a really strange noise coming from the rear of the car.

it seems to be a bit intermitant, bit difficult to describe as it started as a low whistling noise went to almost a screeching (as if brake had stne in it) then on turning left went back to whistling noise.

I checked all the doors and windows are secure, it was almost bording on whining, noise and seems to come and go.

I have checked under the car and can see nothing wrong.

One thing i was wondering could it be the fuel pump, is this in the tank at the rear of the car ? by the way its a limited ed 2009 vrs estate cr tdi.

Just wondering if anyone had seen similar issues, just before i try and get the local dealer to check it out.

Thanks

Jason

If its a moving part you would expect the noise to change strictly in accordance with either the engine or vehicle speed so experiment with different speeds and gears. Get someone to sit in the back too. If you think it might be wind noise you can try taping over the gaps between the doors and body with masking tape. Might help eliminate an air-gap as a source (I am not suggesting this as a permanent fix . . . )

it seems to be a bit intermitant, bit difficult to describe as it started as a low whistling noise went to almost a screeching (as if brake had stne in it) then on turning left went back to whistling noise.

I'd guess at one of the brake pads binding-on slightly. Could be salt in the caliper. Try checking any disk is much hotter than the others after a noisy episode. Cornering in one direction making it worse/better is often an indication.

Driving into work today once car heated up noise came back, in slow traffic was much worse, I reckon its to do with the rear drivers brake system as it speeds up as car speeds up and gets louder as you slow down.

Dosent seem to stopped when braking.

Have booked it into the dealer to have a look on weds, hopefully nothing to serious.

Braking power still seems ok and no warning lights, so maybe just something in the caliper/disc - i wouldnt have expected a disc to warped over 3000 miles though.

Jason

You mention the noise started after you came back from taking the dog out for a walk? Did you park on grass/waste land etc? It is possible you have a small twig stuck some where and it is rubbing on the tyre/wheel? I had this happen a few years ago. Could not for the life of me work out where or what this noise was. It was like a howling banshee in the back. It was only when I removed the rear wheel to investigate the wheel bearing did I see the stick that was rubbing against the tyre and wheel.

Stick removed. Noise gone. Simple. hope yours is equally simply remedied.

Braking power still seems ok and no warning lights, so maybe just something in the caliper/disc - i wouldnt have expected a disc to warped over 3000 miles though.

You'd feel disc irregularity through the pedal. Stuck pads don't show any warning lights or reduce braking power until the surface is worn off, just drag acceleration a bit, squeal, squeak and heat up the disc from the constant contact. Bearings can also squeal but you usually feel some additional vibration that all is not well.