Problem with my Radio code

Hi all i wonder if some one can shed some light on this subject. iv owned my skoda octavia 1 for about 2.5 years My battery went dead and i needed my radio code so i phoned freebourne skoda and they gave me my code over the phone (Result) since then iv installed a jvc head unit in. at the weekend i removed it because i was not getting a good radio signal. and in went my standard skoda tape player.so i phoned skoda again and asked for my code again. And the woman in parts told me that i need to take my car down there and it will cost me £34.50 to retrieve my code. I told her that i was given it once before but she said i was mistaken. They do know me down there as i had my cruise controll fitted there. Why cant they give me the code............... I bet i can get the same stereo with the code from ebay for less than £34.50. Is this a new skoda policy(Or is she being a b***h...). Advice please.................

Yes it's VAG's policy (not just Skoda).

You need the (SKZ......) number from off the radio (it should also be in the radio handbook) once they have this they plug the car in and retrieve the code, my dealer charged me purely for the time it took them, so cost just under £20 IIRC.

The eBay codes etc will not give you the code for the radio (i checked) this time write the number down! :rofl:

I thought the factory fit VAG radio got its code from the ECU?

However the poor radio issue with the JVC can be resolved by installed a power injector, which supplies 12v to the aerial base unit which has an amplifier built in.