heavy condensation in Fabia

My five year old Fabia has started misting up so badly it's like a mobile sauna in the mornings. I've discovered a soaking wet patch of carpet on the rear floor behind the driver's seat.

Googling the problem, I guessthis means a leaking door seal. My question - what should I expect to pay to have the problem fixed at my local Skoda garage? Is it a DIY job that will end in tears and badly fitting carpets, or one to be readily coped with?

My second question - the rear window washer has packed up. Can anyone tell me where the feed pipe runs - in the roof lining or along the floor?

Thanks for any help... Peter

If you have manual windows in the back check they are fully shut, they tend to slip down with the vibration of driving. Well both my fabias do. Its not a huge amount of movement, but over time if you don't use the windows regularly they do drop down a little bit.

My five year old Fabia has started misting up so badly it's like a mobile sauna in the mornings. I've discovered a soaking wet patch of carpet on the rear floor behind the driver's seat.

Googling the problem, I guessthis means a leaking door seal. My question - what should I expect to pay to have the problem fixed at my local Skoda garage? Is it a DIY job that will end in tears and badly fitting carpets, or one to be readily coped with?

My second question - the rear window washer has packed up. Can anyone tell me where the feed pipe runs - in the roof lining or along the floor?

I think the feed pipe runs under the carpet, so the 2 problems may be related? That said, the usual first places to check are the connector to the spray nozzle inside the tailgate, and the connector in the lefthand rear wing behind the wheel (at least on the Octy).

Other than that,, sealing rubber or door membrane. The sealing rubber is pretty easy; buy a new one from Skoda (it's moulded to shape for the corners), pull off the old one and squeeze on the new one, starting with a 90 degree corner in the front end of the door frame, and work along the leading edge first (so you get the 2 90 deg corners placed right).

Never done a door membrane on anything though.

I seem to remember £60 per door being mentioned. From what I've seen, the DIY fix looks fairly easy (I have to do mine at some point, but am waiting until good weather - I've put plastic bags over the sill in the meantime, which forces water out, instead of letting it roll in). I've seen people on here say to throw a bucket of water over the window to check - if you get water on top of the rubber seal, then it's the door carrier. Easiest way of dealing with the carpet is a VAX machine type thing, which will get it pretty close to dry.

...Easiest way of dealing with the carpet is a VAX machine type thing, which will get it pretty close to dry.

Newspaper under the mats, replaced as required will do a pretty good job too. The carpet is man-made fibre, so it wicks moisture pretty well as long as there's something to soak it up! :)

Newspaper under the mats, replaced as required will do a pretty good job too. The carpet is man-made fibre, so it wicks moisture pretty well as long as there's something to soak it up! :)

Yep, that works well - I used a VAX-type machine to bring the worst out (maybe 1/4 of a cup), then newspaper over the carpet for a couple of weeks to get it dried out totally. :)

I seem to remember £60 per door being mentioned. From what I've seen, the DIY fix looks fairly easy (I have to do mine at some point, but am waiting until good weather - I've put plastic bags over the sill in the meantime, which forces water out, instead of letting it roll in). I've seen people on here say to throw a bucket of water over the window to check - if you get water on top of the rubber seal, then it's the door carrier. Easiest way of dealing with the carpet is a VAX machine type thing, which will get it pretty close to dry.

I was quoted £65 for the rear doors and a £131 for all 4.

I also had same problem with my rear washer. As there was no anti freeze content in the washer fluid (Thanks Halfords) the pump had come away from the washer tank. That was £58 to get repaired.

Edited by Gumby

To all you Skoda Fabia owners - here is phaps some great news regarding this problem. The Danish importer of VAG cars called SMC - has unofficialy told their garages, that the will pay for this repair if the car is 4 years or younger. How can this help you - i hope therfor your importer will do the same thing, knowing that SMC has acknowledged this problem.

Please spreed the word.

Kind regards

Edited by ste1.dk

I was quoted £65 for the rear doors and a £131 for all 4.

I also had same problem with my rear washer. As there was no anti freeze content in the washer fluid (Thanks Halfords) the pump had come away from the washer tank. That was £58 to get repaired.

Just wondering bwhether your quote was from a Skoda dealer and which one.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi have the same problem and found that the door leaks and it looks like it is a known problem which Skoda deny, funny thay provide a repair kit from this problem.

If you have this car from new don't touch anything ring the dealer tell them about the problem and even that if it is out of warrenty.

This problem will comes under Sales of Goods Act 1979 if the car is under 6 years old. Goods need to be of satisfactory quality. Also your contract is with the dealer not manufacturer.

If you have no joy go to the consumer direct website http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ and they will advise. They will need details like when did you buy it how much did it cost and how did you pay for it. They will instruct to write a letter using a online template just fill in the blanks and send it of to the dealers registered post. Worth a try