sound options

danroly

i got an octy vrs 2 an like some have said, the system doesnt seem that great. i may have a blow/tear in one of the front door speakers. I havn't really cranked up the sound that high as at around level 25-28 with my ipod on aux 3 setting, the speakers seem to distort.

I know several posters say you should change head unit but i dont really want to.....it looks good and is standard.

what are my options.....a local shop have quoted £300 to put a new front speaker, amp and bass box in. doe this seem reasonable? will it work if head unit as bad as some say- i think its the speakers that are poo as i have never yet given the system full beans and its the speakers that go fuzzy......but i dont know a reet lot :rofl:

Advice /prices please

any of the north west peeps got an uprated system they can let me hear?

dan

When I swapped the Stream for the Bolero, the system sounded a whole lot better Dan. So I'm going to say that I think the speakers are upto the job, and it's the rather poor sound processing of the Stream that's at fault.

Also, how are you connecting your iPod? If it's just a 3.5mm aux cable to the headphone port, then you're going to get distortion at higher levels as the output isn't amped. If you want to continue using an aux cable, think about getting a PocketDock, which connects to the bottom connector of the iPod, which is amped, and allows you to plug the 3.5mm aux cable in that way.

I've got a PocketDock, so if you want to try that route first let me know and we'll meet up for another pint :)

Here's some more info on the PD:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

Steve

Edited by Wardy

When I swapped the Stream for the Bolero, the system sounded a whole lot better Dan. So I'm going to say that I think the speakers are upto the job, and it's the rather poor sound processing of the Stream that's at fault.

Also, how are you connecting your iPod? If it's just a 3.5mm aux cable to the headphone port, then you're going to get distortion at higher levels as the output isn't amped. If you want to continue using an aux cable, think about getting a PocketDock, which connects to the bottom connector of the iPod, which is amped, and allows you to plug the 3.5mm aux cable in that way.

I've got a PocketDock, so if you want to try that route first let me know and we'll meet up for another pint :)

Here's some more info on the PD:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

Steve

Steve

Yep connection is through the headphone jack with 3.5mm cable. does it really make a lot of difference with the pocket dock? yep could do a met up at some point...........perhaps later in the week. pm me if you free.

Nice 1

Dan

any of the north west peeps got an uprated system they can let me hear?

dan

I've got an uprated sound system in my Fabia (see my sig. for details of it).

It's set up for sound quality as opposed to volume and you could have a listen to it to see what is possible if you are prepared to spend a bit.

Depends on how much you are into music.

As a bare minimum, and first job, is to replace the head unit.

If you want to keep the standard head unit "because it looks good" then don't expect to get any better sound than you have now.

Speakers next.

New component speakers will do nicely with 6" mids a minimum.

Note: It is a complete waste to fit more expensive speakers if you are keeping your standard head unit. You will only benefit from uprated speakers if you improve the quality of the signal going to them by buying a better quality head unit.

The standard speakers are matched to the head unit supplied with the car and are perfectly adequate for this.

Then comes an amp. Go for a 4 channel and use 2 ch. for driving the front components, and 2 channels bridged to mono for driving the sub.

Use the amplification in the new head unit for driving the rear speakers for fill-in. (Keep the standard rear speakers you have now.)

Finally - a sub.

Roughly speaking, the larger the speaker the deeper it goes.

The smaller the speaker the tighter it goes.

I use a 12" and it is fine for me.

Remember that it is a fine art matching the speaker to the size of the enclosure.

Research it more thoroughly before asking a dealer to "fit a sub and speaker box for me". A used good-quality sub. beats a new cheap&nasty one any day.

Uprated speaker cables are a necessity as is sound deadening material in the front doors. (Dynamat or similar.)

Fit new fuses in a weather-proof holder as close to the battery as possible.

Let me know if you want a demo of my system, I live in Merseyside.

Bob.

Edited by BOBAD

I've got an uprated sound system in my Fabia (see my sig. for details of it).

It's set up for sound quality as opposed to volume and you could have a listen to it to see what is possible if you are prepared to spend a bit.

Depends on how much you are into music.

As a bare minimum, and first job, is to replace the head unit.

If you want to keep the standard head unit "because it looks good" then don't expect to get any better sound than you have now.

Speakers next.

New component speakers will do nicely with 6" mids a minimum.

Note: It is a complete waste to fit more expensive speakers if you are keeping your standard head unit. You will only benefit from uprated speakers if you improve the quality of the signal going to them by buying a better quality head unit.

The standard speakers are matched to the head unit supplied with the car and are perfectly adequate for this.

Then comes an amp. Go for a 4 channel and use 2 ch. for driving the front components, and 2 channels bridged to mono for driving the sub.

Use the amplification in the new head unit for driving the rear speakers for fill-in. (Keep the standard rear speakers you have now.)

Finally - a sub.

Roughly speaking, the larger the speaker the deeper it goes.

The smaller the speaker the tighter it goes.

I use a 12" and it is fine for me.

Remember that it is a fine art matching the speaker to the size of the enclosure.

Research it more thoroughly before asking a dealer to "fit a sub and speaker box for me". A used good-quality sub. beats a new cheap&nasty one any day.

Uprated speaker cables are a necessity as is sound deadening material in the front doors. (Dynamat or similar.)

Fit new fuses in a weather-proof holder as close to the battery as possible.

Let me know if you want a demo of my system, I live in Merseyside.

Bob.

Bob

cheers for the advice mate..........its not really the aesthetics of the standard head unit........rather thats its the standard set up and as such, goes with the rest of the car and doesnt attract unwanted attention.

I am the kind of person who would choose a hi-fi over tv so music pretty important.

Have started doing research into it.

Whats a ball park figure for the stuff you talk about.......it doesnt have to be mega loud.

i frequent Liverpool on occassion as have mates who live there so will give you a shout when about if thats ok

ta

dan

Whats a ball park figure for the stuff you talk about.......it doesnt have to be mega loud.

I've had my system (apart from the h/u) for some time now and it's been installed in my last two cars as well as my current one so I can justify the spend as it's spread over a long time.

The beauty of good equipment as that you don't need to keep updating it and it lasts forever!

My Rockford amps. were around £1000 (and are much better than current models.)

Cheapo Alpine h/u was about £250. (Needed the iPod connection.)

Sub around £500.

Auto-changer was £350

Rockford Audiophile component speakers were £400.

Storage cap. was £150.

Extras, cables, fuse boxes, etc. and fitting charges bumped it up by around £400+.

So a ball-park figure is around: £3k+ but it's about 10 years old, has been installed in three different cars and sounds superb! I do listen to music loud but it rarely gets driven above 50% of capacity.

But don't let that figure put you off as you can do great things for a lot less loot.

It sounds like you listen to music sourced on your iPod so you might consider an Alpine model which is a dedicated ipod player. No tuner or CD facility but if you don't need them why pay for them?

Try calling K&M Acoustics in Wigan on 01942-82 01 74 and ask for Mike who will be happy to help you with any questions about prices etc. and he will also recommend some kit.

i frequent Liverpool on occassion as have mates who live there so will give you a shout when about if thats ok ta dan

Sure. I'll PM you with my phone no.

Bob.