Top up Oil

What kind of oil should i be using to top up my 1.9Tdi S Superb mkII and 1.9Tdi Octavia A4

I have been told by diffrent people i should only use Fully synthetic and others say its safe to use semi synthetic, does it have to have the VW code on the oil.

Both cars are serviced by a Skoda dealer at 10,000 intervals and both used as taxis.

does it have to have the VW code on the oil.

Aye that's the only bit that really matters. Don't think i've seen any semi-synths that meet the spec -- that bein said, i don't work in a garage so not as if i'm seeing the stuff day in, day out.

See you're in Glasgow, both GSF at eglington toll and Euro car parts up at Saracen do decent bulk buys every so often. 20Litres of Quantum for £70 last time.

Hope it helps

What kind of oil should i be using to top up my 1.9Tdi S Superb mkII and 1.9Tdi Octavia A4

I have been told by different people i should only use Fully synthetic and others say its safe to use semi synthetic, does it have to have the VW code on the oil.

Both cars are serviced by a Skoda dealer at 10,000 intervals and both used as taxis.

I have a Superb II with the same engine where I use fully synthetic 5w-30 Shell, Castrol or Fuchs oils complying with VAG 506.01, or the newer 507.00. I highly recommend Opie Oils for specific advice on oil, good service and keen pricing. I do not work for Opie Oils, but am a longstanding satisfied customer.

Most new stock oil will be 507.00, however, both this and the older 506.01 grades are fine for use in a Superb II or Octy II which are subject to Variable Servicing. Are both your cars set by the dealer for Variable Servicing (typically 18,000-20,000 mile intervals as indicated by the MFD), as if not, I believe you can use a cheaper semi-synthetic oil where servicing/oil changes are necessary at fixed 10,000 mile intervals.

Are both your cars set by the dealer for Variable Servicing (typically 18,000-20,000 mile intervals as indicated by the MFD), as if not, I believe you can use a cheaper semi-synthetic oil where servicing/oil changes are necessary at fixed 10,000 mile intervals.

Both are serviced at 10,000 mile intervals

Edited by 08octavia

At present I am using Castrol Edge, which is up to the VW 507/00 spec, and is their replacement for their previous longlife oil, "Castrol Formula SLX Longlife 2", comes in 1lt and 4lt packs, with the 4lt being the most economical.

At present I am using Castrol Edge, which is up to the VW 507/00 spec, and is their replacement for their previous longlife oil, "Castrol Formula SLX Longlife 2", comes in 1lt and 4lt packs, with the 4lt being the most economical.

Is that 5w30 or 5w40?

Are both your cars set by the dealer for Variable Servicing (typically 18,000-20,000 mile intervals as indicated by the MFD), as if not, I believe you can use a cheaper semi-synthetic oil where servicing/oil changes are necessary at fixed 10,000 mile intervals.

Both are serviced at 10,000 mile intervals

If you're only travelling around 10,000 miles a year then Fixed interval servicing is fine, however, variable servicing exists primarily for those doing higher mileages. For instance, I travel over 30,000 miles a year and with the MFD set to Variable Servicing, the car needs servicing every 7-8 months (18-19,000 miles), whereas, if set to Fixed Servicing I would need to visit the garage every 4 months.

If you're only travelling around 10,000 miles a year then Fixed interval servicing is fine, however, variable servicing exists primarily for those doing higher mileages. For instance, I travel over 30,000 miles a year and with the MFD set to Variable Servicing, the car needs servicing every 7-8 months (18-19,000 miles), whereas, if set to Fixed Servicing I would need to visit the garage every 4 months.

The reason for the 10,000 servicing is, both cars are used as taxis and since the majority of the work is done in the city with a lot of stop start and engine idiling. The engine will also use more oil.