Servicing Costs

I am due for my 40k service soon, I rang for a quote from my local dealer where the car was purchased, they quoted me around £420 including break fluid change.

Could anyone tell me if this is a realistic price for a main dealer or are they overpriced. I am currently waiting for an independent quote, however, this is some way away from me as I am unable to find anyone in my area.

Also, is there anywhere that lists the work that is undertaken at specific service intervals as I'm sure there are some if not all jobs I could carry out myself!

Depends on date of manufacture and mileage as to what they're quoting for. Service time reckons around 2.2 hours plus a few extras for 40k service.

You have a PM regarding what it entails. I'd post it up here but it looks like a screenshot of VW's service manual I found on the internet.

If you don't need the stamp and can diy you can do a hell of a lot more for a whole lot less cash, oil, filter,air, pollen, derv will cost you £65 at GSF, the service you are having will only change the oil and filter and the pollen and maybe air ones, don't worry about the brake fluid having to be done by Skoda, VX used to charge £24 to change it in the Vectras, if you allow £50 for it, I'm sure that will cover it anyway, personally I think the fluid change is a con, maybe after 60k it could be a good idea, but I've never changed it before myself, and I've also never had a car fail an mot for brake issues either, now if the fluid is degraded it would show on the rolling road as water and air have different properties to the fluid, and if they were present the lack of efficiency would show on the rollers.

I thought I could get away with doing a diy job, it was just a matter of knowing what was needed at 40k. Any ideas regarding a manual? Should i use a passat and does that cover the 20 tdi that i have?

Please be aware that not changing the brake fluid can lead to corrosion in the ABS unit due to moisture building up in the fluid. Myself, I'd pay the ~£45 every two years or so before I'd risk the ABS system getting a fault. Your choice at the end of the day.

allclownsareevi i dont suppose you could let me know what the 40k service entails? i've lost my service book with the info inside and got a replacement service book,,,,,but without the infomation inside...pm the details if you could.many thanks andy :thumbup:

allclownsareevi i dont suppose you could let me know what the 40k service entails? i've lost my service book with the info inside and got a replacement service book,,,,,but without the infomation inside...pm the details if you could.many thanks andy :thumbup:

pm sent