Door Wind Noise

CBFBOY

Hi

My YETI has now done 1500 miles and i am generally pleased with it, Just one little thing is beginning to annoy me though is the wind noise eminitting from the passenger front door. Anyone else with this?

No wind noise on mine till over 90 mph or with a strong crosswind - the roof rails do emit a noise in the crosswind. None from the passenger side.

Is the window all the way up?

Are any of the door seals not contacting the frame in spots?

Was it is a crosswind from that side of the car?

mine has it on the drivers door (UK). (6000miles and counting)

skoda-man says they'll fix next Thursday, I'll leave you know the outcome.

Also an annoying wee dash rattle developed over the weekend which again will be addressed during the pitstop.

No wind noise on mine till over 90 mph or with a strong crosswind - the roof rails do emit a noise in the crosswind. None from the passenger side.

Is the window all the way up?

Are any of the door seals not contacting the frame in spots?

Was it is a crosswind from that side of the car?

Yes, windows are all the way up and its the same no matter what wind is blowing, perhaps a phone call to Mr Skoda at Newport

i have a wee noise from the drivers door too, but it does not bother me too much

my friend has a new toyota hilux and it does the same,

maybe is the hight of the cars???????

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. My Yeti has whistling from both front windows starting at about 60mph. Not sure where it's coming from yet(i). Really don't want to have to take it back to the dealer as I've already had to do that once (the dealer was great in replacing the back bumper that had a scratch on from new). Presumably this is covered under the 3 year warranty so I can investigate at my leisure? Don't tend to get up to those speeds during the daily school runs/work. Anyone had the same problem? Having had a quick search on the forums, it maybe the window seals but how do I check these? What makes a seal whistle?

My car is at the dealer right now, took technician out to demonstrate, he said definitely not right.

My understanding he is going to strip down door (needs to do this to get to behind the plastic panel inboard of the wing mirror housing) and seals to see what if anything is wrong / missing.

Will keep you all updated on the outcome.

Edited by octy888

Hmm. My Yeti has whistling from both front windows starting at about 60mph. Not sure where it's coming from yet(i). Really don't want to have to take it back to the dealer as I've already had to do that once (the dealer was great in replacing the back bumper that had a scratch on from new). Presumably this is covered under the 3 year warranty so I can investigate at my leisure? Don't tend to get up to those speeds during the daily school runs/work. Anyone had the same problem? Having had a quick search on the forums, it maybe the window seals but how do I check these? What makes a seal whistle?

Wind or whistle noises are damned hard to identify and localize - particularly when referenced only in print.

Under normal circumstances, I have no whistles or unesxpected wind noises. Howeve, if you drive in a strong crosswind, there is a windnoise from the crosswind passing under the relatively sharp underside of the roof rails. But only in a crosswind.

At 100 mph, you can clearly hear the air flowing around the car - but it would be utopian to expect it not to, right? Under those circumstances in the UK, you would probably be more worried about whooping sirens and flashing blue lights rather than wind noise.

My car is at the dealer right now, took technician out to demonstrate, he said definitely not right.

My understanding he is going to strip down door (needs to do this to get to behind the plastic panel inboard of the wing mirror housing) and seals to see what if anything is wrong / missing.

Will keep you all updated on the outcome.

Did the folding back the mirror thing and it went! Was doing 40mph at the time. It must get louder so you can only hear it inthe cabin at higher speeds. Please let me know how you get on.

Just back from the dealer.

The technician diagnosed it almost immediately. I personally had convinced myself it was the wing mirror (because fold it and it goes) but the tech reckoned it was more to do with the seals around where the wing mirror meets the body.

Apparently there are some 'sponge' parts in there to stop wind noise (tech expected some to be missing or poorly aligned / fitted). He took apart this area (all looked well he reported when first took apart) and re-fitted ...and added some more 'sponge' for good measure and hey presto! Fixed.

Frankly amazed at how efficiently my dealer diagnosed and fixed the problem, was expecting an number of visits with new parts / seals / even new wing mirror being ordered.

Now.....SILENT!! :thumbup:

BIG thanks to All Electric, Kings Heath, Birmingham.

Just back from the dealer.

The technician diagnosed it almost immediately. I personally had convinced myself it was the wing mirror (because fold it and it goes) but the tech reckoned it was more to do with the seals around where the wing mirror meets the body.

Apparently there are some 'sponge' parts in there to stop wind noise (tech expected some to be missing or poorly aligned / fitted). He took apart this area (all looked well he reported when first took apart) and re-fitted ...and added some more 'sponge' for good measure and hey presto! Fixed.

Frankly amazed at how efficiently my dealer diagnosed and fixed the problem, was expecting an number of visits with new parts / seals / even new wing mirror being ordered.

Now.....SILENT!! :thumbup:

BIG thanks to All Electric, Kings Heath, Birmingham.

Amazing! Will have a look at things later and if I do go to the dealer, will print this post out!

Charlie......just to check its the same thing. The noise was definitely centred around the area where the wing mirror housing attaches to the door.....in that if you lean forwards with your ear closer to that area it gets louder.

My 'whistle' started at around 40-45mph (although this morning could even hear it in the 30's when tech was driving car) and got louder with speed. At 70 it could be clearly heard over 'normal' volume music / radio.

Just Curious.........

In the olden days, the outside rear view mirrors were actually mounted on the "wings" , but today they are just on the leading edge of the doors, where they meet the "A" pillar. In American parlance, they would be just outside (rear view) mirrors. No reerence to "fenders"

I am bilingual enough to know that boot=trunk; hood=bonnet, gas=petrol etc. etc., but wing mirror has me flummoxed.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Help me out

Charlie......just to check its the same thing. The noise was definitely centred around the area where the wing mirror housing attaches to the door.....in that if you lean forwards with your ear closer to that area it gets louder.

My 'whistle' started at around 40-45mph (although this morning could even hear it in the 30's when tech was driving car) and got louder with speed. At 70 it could be clearly heard over 'normal' volume music / radio.

Spookily seems exactly the same. Need to find a quiet straight bit of road to stick my head nearer to the wing mirror! How great if it turns out to be the same thing as I can take it to the dealer with the answer!

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this !--------Took car to dealer last week could not find any fault so car is in having the door seal replaced!----i hope this cures it!

Let us know how you get on. Need to get mine sorted too.

OK--Update

Took car in and had courtesy car (Insurance £8 day)---then told they had ordered wrong seal.

Following day had phone call stating that they had changed seal, but still wind noise. They need to order more parts, so i collected car and now am awaiting the parts(Whatever they are)

• 1 month later...

OK--Update

Took car in and had courtesy car (Insurance £8 day)---then told they had ordered wrong seal.

Following day had phone call stating that they had changed seal, but still wind noise. They need to order more parts, so i collected car and now am awaiting the parts(Whatever they are)

OK, Thay have finally cracked it !---NEW Window seals fitted, all nice and quite !