Skoda Octavia servicing question

Hi,

Around December last year at around 14,000 miles the service interval indicator light lit on my 08 Octavia 1.9 TDI every time I started it. I took it into the Skoda dealer where I bought the car and they told me it must of been missed on the last service but there wasn't anyone able to reset it on site due to mechanics being on lunch break. I haven't had a chance to get back to the dealer until now. The car's developed a screeching noise from the front wheel and I need to take the car in to be checked.

After checking the service schedule today I noticed it is missing its first interval service stamp. The service schedule has the delivery Inspection page stamped on 07/03/2008 and shows the next service as 10,000 miles or 07/03/2009 (whichever comes first according to service interval display). The label in the front of the service schedule shows "QG1" which the schedule lists as variable length of service intervals.

I bought the car in February 2009 when it had done 11,600 miles so assumed it had been serviced at 10,000 miles. I'm a little concerned that the service schedule not being stamped and the service light not being reset means the car wasn't actually serviced. I did notice the invoice for the car does mention "Service" as one of the items but I don't recall this being mentioned when I bought the car.

This does raise a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way of telling whether the car was actually serviced by the dealer? e.g. should the dealer or Skoda have paperwork or record to prove it was serviced?

2. If it wasn't done and this obviously affects the warranty is the dealer responsible for doing it i.e. they should of picked up it hadn't been serviced before I bought it?

The 2nd Owner of the vehicle page also wasn't filled in (amongst other paperwork) when I bought the car, I've completed this and will get the dealer to stamp it when I go to get the wheel checked.

Thanks

Martin

QG1 when listed in handbook is variable service, and is in Ireland anyway, 2 years or up to 30,000km, whichever comes first, so I would imagine that nothing has actually been missed, as 30,000km would be roughly, 18,000 miles, and depending on how car has been driven, the service light showing at 14,000 may just be the service indicator showing for the first time.

If your car has maxi-dot, you can check by turning on ignition, but not starting car, and pressing down the spanner key on dash , and this should give a message similar to " service due in ---- miles, or --- days".

I personally would just think that it is due it's first service, and when you get it done, and filled with long life oil, the computer will be reset for another 2 years or 18,000 miles. As your car was new on 07/03/2008, then the first service should be around 07/03/2010, being the 2 year anniversary.

Hope this helps.

In Ireland, It is the same, you will find dealers putting a sticker on car window, giving a year from date when new, or 15,000km, yet the car is set up as QG1, which is explained above, and when questioned, they say, " of course, you're right, it's just what we're used to doing in the past"