Fabia VRS Fuel consumption high

I have noticed that since my timing belt was changed along with the water pump, my fuel consumption has increased from an average of 52 mpg to around 45 mpg. I have read threads on sticky rear calipers and I know that mine need a clean/service as they are sticking a bit. I would be surprised that sticky brakes would have such adramatic effect on fuel consumption. My main concern is that the mechanic may have fitted the cambelt off true slightly i.e. one or two notches. Would I notice a major difference with this possibility? or should I just worry about the slightly sticky brakes? has anyone experienced incorrectly fitted cambelts?

Broadbean ;)

Your fuel cosumption figures do take a little dip when the weather's cooler as cold air is denser

so more fuel CAN be burnt as a result of this. :yes:

Try changing/cleaning the air filter (Type dependent) If it hasn't been done for a long time

then this may be the reason.

Maybe you're just getting more used to your ride and driving her a bit harder.

I've been finding that with mine.

I found the way it picks up pace a bit eyebrow raising at first and took it a little

easier for the first few months.

Nowadays I'm used to how she goes and use the power a little bit more. :rock:

Not too much though as my front tyres are crap as crap can be. :rofl:

Edited by grr666

Your fuel cosumption figures do take a little dip when the weather's cooler as cold air is denser

so more fuel CAN be burnt as a result of this. :yes:

Try changing/cleaning the air filter (Type dependent) If it hasn't been done for a long time

then this may be the reason.

Maybe you're just getting more used to your ride and driving her a bit harder.

I've been finding that with mine.

I found the way it picks up pace a bit eyebrow raising at first and took it a little

easier for the first few months.

Nowadays I'm used to how she goes and use the power a little bit more. :rock:

Not too much though as my front tyres are crap as crap can be. :rofl:

I commute 100 miles a day in it for past 2 years. It has a pipercross filter which is clean as a whistle. New MAF about 3 months ago with PD160 intake mod. There does not appear to be any power drop but it is a bit lumpy at tickover and low revs.

Edited by Broadbean

but it is a bit lumpy at tickover and low revs.

Was it Lumpy before the Cambelt Change ??

You could try cleaning the Egr Valve with some Carb cleaner, They can become gummed up & stick, Giving both your symptons....

Try this first as it is the easy one

Dean