FABIA VRS BINDING REAR BRAKES AND FUEL CONSUMPTION

Broadbean

Just recently noticed an increase in fuel consumption on my Fab Vrs. I commute 100 miles daily mainly A roads and usually achieve a respectable 53 MPG. The last few weeks saw it drop to 45MPG. Having investigated further and ruled out the MAF, it was observed that the rear brakes were binding with the handbrake off. I could still turn them with reasonable force though. I serviced the calipers and used a swiss file to clean the metal guide clips. I reassembled the units and applied decent Rocol copper slip to the sliding edges. However, apart from this I noticed that my return springs were missing off the handbrake assembly on the caliper, which probably explains the problems I had experienced. I am baffled as to where they had gone and find it amazing that both had gone. Has anyone else experienced the phenomena!!!! :|