Clunk After Reverse

Hi all, new to Skoda and just picked up a brand new Octavia 1.4TSi and it has a clunk after reversing and applying brakes. Dealer checked things over (brakes, suspension et al) and basically said that there's nothing amiss and it's a common feature. Is it that common? Do Octavia's come off the production line doing this?

Any opinions appreciated.

Hi all, new to Skoda and just picked up a brand new Octavia 1.4TSi and it has a clunk after reversing and applying brakes. Dealer checked things over (brakes, suspension et al) and basically said that there's nothing amiss and it's a common feature. Is it that common? Do Octavia's come off the production line doing this?

Mine does this too (1.9TDi). My thinking is its the brake pads moving slightly in the calipers.

When you brake going forward the disk is rotating clockwise so moves the pads are sitting at one end.

I think when you brake while reversing they 'clunk' to the other end of the caliper.

I think its only a slight movement and i've always assumed its normal.

mine did that too on the oem skoda pads but i got a set of bright green ones (dont know what they are called but they grip like hell) and the clunking stopped.

mine did that too on the oem skoda pads but i got a set of bright green ones (dont know what they are called but they grip like hell) and the clunking stopped.

Thanks - well, it's going back in to get sorted one way or another, so we'll see.....

I'm not too familiar with car brakes, but on mountain bike disc brakes the pads often come with a layer of paint on the backings to prevent corrosion. When they are new it's very common for the pads to 'knock' in the calipers upon a change of braking direction, since the paint acts as a lubricant between the pad backing and the piston.

After a while, the paint wears off in the same shape as the piston (usually a ring/circle) so the pad backing 'sticks' to the piston (using the same mechanism that disc brakes themselves work by - two very flat and smooth surfaces will stick themselves together) so the knocking goes away.

Might help to explain the issue here?

I'm not too familiar with car brakes, but on mountain bike disc brakes the pads often come with a layer of paint on the backings to prevent corrosion. When they are new it's very common for the pads to 'knock' in the calipers upon a change of braking direction, since the paint acts as a lubricant between the pad backing and the piston.

After a while, the paint wears off in the same shape as the piston (usually a ring/circle) so the pad backing 'sticks' to the piston (using the same mechanism that disc brakes themselves work by - two very flat and smooth surfaces will stick themselves together) so the knocking goes away.

Might help to explain the issue here?

there is a set of metal spring clips which mount into the interior of the piston so the pad essentially cant move across the piston, but if there's any sort of slackness between the pad and the caliper "walls" which hold the pad in position then you can get a slight knock ........ either that or you could have something knocking in the suspension :(

• 11 months later...

My new 1.4 TSI also makes this metalic clunk when moving from stationary, my car has DSG and makes the noise when releasing the brakes and the car starts to move. Have you found a fix yet?

This is quite common on a range of cars. Its due to the pad backing being a little 'undersized' for the caliper carriers and the pad can move about 1mm or so in the carrier. Often depends what brand of pads are fitted. We just had a Suzuki Swift this last week with the same problem. We'd sold it as a used car and owner wasn't happy. Changed the OE TRW pads for some Mintex - problem solved!

No detriment to the braking though, so dont woeey about it.