2 quick queries

Hiya,

thanks to my other half driving a little to close to a granite wall on a country lane the passenger mirror has spider web cracked in the middle. i have bought a replacement mirror off Ebay, and although it recons on the site you can either stick it straight over the broken mirror or pull the old mirror out and replace it. the mirror has a slight convex to it i'm assuming this is cover for the double sided tape. Whats the best way to do it? if i pull out all the broken bits am i going to get attacked by flying springs? i'm about to sell the car shortly and don't need to spend any extra on it if need be.

scondly the expander tank (or at least i'm hoping it is what the error warning light is) the fulid levels are topped up. I've read somewhere it could just be a faulty sensor on the tank and u just need to clean these up? any ideas? i've noticed there is a slight soapy scum on the cap that might be causing this. (dip stick seems fine so i'm not sure where the problem lies)

and finally while trying to find a solution to my problem, i have spotted a few complaints about the engine management light on the dash board, i have discovered depending on the type of fuel i use i get this problem, if i either use Super or Total 95 (or whatever the std fuel is) (i'm just as much of an import to the UK as the Skoda is albe it from a different hemisphere.) the Shell fuel seems to be the most ideal.

I'll be sad to see it go, it's been a decent vechicle and the newest i've owned from the previous cars i've had (yea probably not saying much now that it's 9 years old but when i changed the battery it was the original one from manufacture.

I'm not sure it's the same with yours but on the vRS the actual glass part is within a plastic case with some metal prongs on the back.

If this is the same, all you have to do is pull the old one off (carefully) and slot in the new one.

If your's is electric then don't forget to disconnect the lead for the heated part when taking the old mirror off and obviously reconnecting it before fitting the new one.

Hope it helps

Thanks all i can see is just the mirror i can't see anything behind it or around it. it's just electric adjust, but thanks to some dodgy knee work (the mrs moved the seat to close to the steering wheel) i might have accidntally broken the mirror adjuster. up side this i what ebay is for!

thanks for your help i'll have another look this weekend.

To remove the glass from the unit, you need to push in at the top so its not max "up" view, then using a cloth and a couple of screwdrivers, get in from underneath and prise it out. The glass is held on by two "flexi" clips, and a more normal straight clip. It will kind of "snap" three times when prising it as each one undos.

Putting back is not easy as I have found out, even when the mirror is on your lap not on the car. Need to get the flexi rods lined up properly then use precise but not too much force to re-attach the clips, the last one being the more traditional clip.