Warranties

Royston

My manufacturer's warranty is about to expire on the Beemer, and BMW have offered me 1 year extended warranty for £427 or £39pm. I've shopped around at Warranty Direct and Warranties.co.uk and neither of them can match that price for a fully comprehensive warranty.

Is it worth the money though? I worry that there's more to go wrong with a 6 cylinder engine and a semi automatic gear box. What are your thoughts?

try the AA they do breakdown repair cover for £69.95 for cars up to 10 years old, and 100,000 miles, or 99.95 for cars over 10 years/ 100000 miles, read the small print though as dont think can be such high level of cover as bmw are offering tbh!

Stick the £427 in a bank account or under the mattress and don't touch it.

£427 probably runs a decent profit for BMW so the probability is that you won't have any issues that will cost that much in any one year.

If it doesn't break you're £427 up.

If it does you'll have £427 towards it and you can always argue under your statutory rights anyway.

How many miles do you do, my warranty with warranty direct is £225 and is more comprehensive than original. My mileage is low though. Did you actually speak to someone or online i got nearly £80 off by bartering. Also I could have got even cheaper as you can have it repaired by one of their garages rather than main dealer, hourly rate less<In your case BMW dealer a lot less > I think skodas was £450 but with assistance so the BMW one isn't that pricey to be honest :thumbup:

Aren't BMWs supposed to be well made? In which case, surely the chance of anything expensive breaking on a 4 year old one should be pretty minimal?

I was in the local dealers with my old man the other day and the service manager advised a extended warranty if buying a turbo model as they have been having "problems" at around 3-4 years.

My old mans current 320 is drinking oil at an alarming rate of about a litre every 500 miles or less !!!

I was in the local dealers with my old man the other day and the service manager advised a extended warranty if buying a turbo model as they have been having "problems" at around 3-4 years.

My old mans current 320 is drinking oil at an alarming rate of about a litre every 500 miles or less !!!

hmm I think this turbo issue may well force my hand. (dunno why I was just talking like Obi Wan there?!?)

I've just topped my oil up as the light came on. There's no dipstick (apart from the one behind the wheel) on modern bmws and they have lengthy variable servicing. There was dirty black sludge inside the engine when I opened the filler cap which doesn't really inspire much enthusiasm tbh.

The AA cover suggestion above might be worth a look, heard good things about it from the 2 people i know with it.

If this is a diesel bmw i'd take some form of cover (after reading the fine print to see if the turbo and it's actuator would be covered in event of failure). If it's a petrol i'd stick the money in the bank and not touch it.