Knock when changing gear

Just wandering if anyone has any ideas with this:

When cold I get a knock (sounds like from passenger side more than drivers side) when I change gear (only in low gears). I can stop the knock if I hold firmly onto the gear stick when changing. Seems to go when the engine has warmed and is quieter now its warmer weather.

Gearbox mountings look alright from what I can see.

I used to have this quite bad and it turned into a knock everytime I pushed or released the throttle.

Turned out to be the lower gearbox mount (underneath the gearbox).

Phil

Lower gearbox mounting is a piece of cake, you can do it just on ramps, and it's 4 bolts, 3 on the gearbox, 1 to the chassis. Just make sure you get the right one as different engine sizes have different offsets. 10 minute job.

OP - almost certain that it would be the lower mounting.

You could probably change it without ramps. I meant "DIY ramps", not a garage 4-poster. Jack and stands would be fine too.

You don't need a jack to support the engine, that mount just controls the engine/box's rotation under torque (hence it failing most often), and you can do it with your spare arm to get it into place, no problem at all.

the mounting in that pic doesn't look too bad tbh, but it's impossible to tell without inspecting it properly..

the other possible cause of the knock may be the exhuast system knocking against the rear axle beam, which incidently is on the passenger side

Ok, Cheers for the reply.

Last question, is it alright to reuse the nuts/bolts? Maybe with a bit of threadlock?

Yes, I've always reused mine, and the current box has probably been in and out of the car maybe 10-15 times.

yes it is ok to re-use most of the bolts so long as you are sensible and don't risk a bodge using a damaged bolt.. bear in mind that the total cost of all of those bolts and nuts on the rear engine mount is probably less than £2 from the skoda dealer, and they will come pre-covered in thread lock too!!

the only bolts i never re-use is the lower ball-joint pinch bolts

Edited by TeflonTom

Thanks for the replies :D

Hi there, I could be wrong but what you're describing sounds very similar to a noise i have. Is it quite a metallic sound, almost like a metal object being dropped in a tin? If so it is the same as the sound my car is making. I ramped my car up and discovered it is coming from the gear change linkage, in particular the point at which the gear stick arm meets the gearbox.

I could be wrong but it sounds like it's the same.

Mine sounds more like a clunk.... When I get the chance im going to investigate. Its actually be doing it for quite some time -really should look at it! But then again, I wouldnt be too surprised if it could be the gear linkage as if I hold the gearstick tightly it stops clunking!