Unusual oil loss.

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone can offer any help/suggestions, please, with a problem I'm having with my Fabia.

It's a 5-year-old Classic 1.2 HTP Estate with one previous owner - I've had it for 6 months. It's got 93,000 miles on the clock, but it has a full service history and all maintenance receipts. 18 months ago, at 84,000, it had some major surgery: compression loss, which turned out to be caused by damage to all 6 inlet valves. These were replaced, along with the timing chain set.

When I got the car, it had done 89,000 and had just had a full service. It runs like an absolute dream and has never given me any problems.... EXCEPT, it gets through the engine oil at a rate of roughly 0.8 of a litre every thousand miles! Leastways, in the 4,000 miles I've done - largely motorway driving, and rarely going above 3,500 revs - I've had to put in just over 3 litres of oil. I've been using the correct stuff, too, as supplied by my local Skoda garage.

I've had a Skoda technician check it over thoroughly. He can so no evidence of leaks, no evidence of excessive burning (though the cat is probably taking the brunt of that) and nothing amiss noise-wise with the engine. There are no puffs of oily smoke on starting the car, and no oily smells from the exhaust.

Okay.... I know these cars burn some, especially with that mileage... but it does seem excessive, even so. I don't see the point of getting any major work done to sort it out, because there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the car.

Anyone got any ideas what might be causing it, please?

Thanks.

Tom

Are you towing or carrying heavier load compared to usual that would explain oil consumption as the engine is working harder if not.

Use a thicker grade of oil.

I cant say for 100% if this myth works or not, but when a car is made the engine oil required is thin because the engine is new and manufacturers use thinner oil for better fuel consumption and so on, as the mileage builds up the engine obviously wears so using a thicker grade of oil protects the engine and prevents oil burning.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5710265_reduce-oil-usage-car.html

The amount of oil loss, although undesirable, is probably within spec. I wouldn't worry about it, maybe try find an appropriate oil cheaper somewhere.

Thanks, folks. No, I don't tow anything and never carry a heavy load - apart from a passenger sometimes! I've heard people say different things about the engine oil. One technician I spoke to said he would never recommend synthetic or semi-synthetic, and I've been using the latter. What have others found?

My other concern is that , with the oil burning at that rate, the cat will probably be taking a hammering - and I've been told that having one replaced is a very expensive job.

Edited by MartianTom

• 1 month later...

I've noticed exactly the same thing with my 1.4 16V petrol hatchback, it's a w reg and has loads on the clock, 132,000.

I only bought it a few months ago but it's drinking LOADS of oil. I'm having to check it every long journey, of which I do about 2 a week and top it up every ~2 weeks because it goes from the max line to the min line.

I will try a thicker grade of oil.

I am about to replace the breather pipe from the air box to the bottom of the engine because the pipe is degrading and is caked up with oil inside, maybe this will help a bit. I have also noticed that the car HATES hills. I'm not carrying any unusually large loads, but the minute I get to a hill it loses power and has a hard time getting up it. Is this unusual behavior?

I've noticed exactly the same thing with my 1.4 16V petrol hatchback, it's a w reg and has loads on the clock, 132,000.

I only bought it a few months ago but it's drinking LOADS of oil. I'm having to check it every long journey, of which I do about 2 a week and top it up every ~2 weeks because it goes from the max line to the min line.

I will try a thicker grade of oil.

I am about to replace the breather pipe from the air box to the bottom of the engine because the pipe is degrading and is caked up with oil inside, maybe this will help a bit. I have also noticed that the car HATES hills. I'm not carrying any unusually large loads, but the minute I get to a hill it loses power and has a hard time getting up it. Is this unusual behavior?

Sounds like you've bought a dud there mate - sounds like typical symptons for failed piston rings which is a common fault on this engine - especially considering the age and mileage. Probably talking best part £1000 for a rebuild or replacement engine. (I'm referring to the 1.4 16v engine, not the 3 cylinder engine of the original poster). Regarding the 1.2 engine I've a friend with a 1.2 Furby with 100k on it and that also seems thirsty for oil. It is important to keep the oil topped up and of the right spec as it can cause problems with the tensioners on the timing chain and cause the chain to slip - that might have been what happened previously to damage the inlet valves. Compression loss generally could mean that the piston rings are at fault too. You could check the spark plugs for evidence of oil combustion and get another compression check done. I'd have been a bit nervous about buying a car having needed to have all that done to it.

Edited by tag1_uk

With regards to the cat, it should be fine. My mates golf, though its diesel is on nearly 150k miles - and has blown 3 turbos throwing literally litres at a time through the exhaust system. His cat is still hunky dory, works as it should, so all should be fine with yours i'd imagine, since it's burning it with a better proportion in comparison