VEG OIL IN TDI?

Just wondered if anybody knows for sure if its safe to use new veg oil in with the diesel? Ie could i put a gallon or two of oil in with a full tank of diesel? a bloke at work does it in a vw tdi and reckons there is no difference in performance of starting. Its a 110bhp non pd. veg oil 70p a litre diesel £1.20! :rofl:

Or has anybody invested in a bio diesel converter to convert used veg oil? is used oil actually hard to get hold off? could be worth the investment as i do 22-25k a year

Edited by scottybob

I don't think new veg oil is recommended in direct injection diesels, even in sub 20 percentages, unless you have a proper 1 tank or 2 tank conversion done. In the short term it will be ok, but some long term reports have indicated that the piston rings will get gummed up along with a lot of coking.

Steve

Where have you found veg oil for 70p per litre?

I was just contemplating the same thing for my TDI, but Tesco veg oil was £5 for 6 litres (on special offer).

One of my colleagues at work used it in his Ibiza TDI 110 and said he had no problems.

one of my work mates did this his old toyato 4wd, and after a few months, some seals failed in the fuel pump, iirc, but he was running 100%. Cheap fuel ended up not being so cheap for him.

So I prob best avoid doing that then! Still looking into a bio diesel converter, no point in risking big repair bill on engine or fuel pump! The veg oil was from costco wholesale in a 20 litre container.

So I prob best avoid doing that then! Still looking into a bio diesel converter, no point in risking big repair bill on engine or fuel pump! The veg oil was from costco wholesale in a 20 litre container.

I looked at buying it in, pre made. I think some places will supply a plastic tank.... but you need to have the fuel delivered in large qty to make the delivery costs worthwhile.

I looked at buying it in, pre made. I think some places will supply a plastic tank.... but you need to have the fuel delivered in large qty to make the delivery costs worthwhile.

How much cheaper did that work out at? Is it worth doing? I was looking at the contraption that converts the used oil but don't know if the investment would be worth it.

How much cheaper did that work out at? Is it worth doing? I was looking at the contraption that converts the used oil but don't know if the investment would be worth it.

Some suppliers say as they can supply from 80p/litre, but that is based on buying lots of the stuff. I am still investigating at the moment,. There is a supplier just up the road from me at work, and if they had a forecourt pump, then that would ideal :-) I am back in the office tomorrow, so I might go and investigate if I get some free time.