Anyone driven a 1.2TSI?

Looking at an Octavia to replace an ageing Focus 1.8. On paper the 1.2 TSI doesn't look much slower, and the running costs appeal. Has anyone on here driven one and can give me some impressions?

Thanks emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Not quite - it was a Yeti and it left me a little confused! It's a lovely engine............but I think Skoda are sticking it in the wrong chassis. It revs really sweetly and I thought this even though the one I drove only had delivery mileage but 105hp is not very much these days and IMHO not enough to haul an Octy about. It felt very underpowered in the Yeti. Would be fine around town which I suppose would make the Yeti good for the school run with no guilt but out on real roads it was positivly dangerous; it needs to come with a sign on the windscreen stating "do not attempt to overtake that car in front" as it just runs out of steam and will leave you on the wrong side of the road for too long. TED - Time Exposed to Danger I think they call it and the 1.2 leaves you very TED!!!

Looks to be nice and economical but I would think economy would suffer eventually because you'd be putting the boot in the get the damn thing moving sufficiently well!

Personally I think it might be a better bet in a Fabia but given that I think the current Furby looks like a large Tefal steam iron, perhaps thats not such a good idea. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

1.4TSi - now thats a much better prospect in my opinion. Just that little bit pokier and almost as "green"......

Edited by wardth

Own one for 20 days, in Greece.

It is as good (probably better) as a 1.6 Mondeo. That being said, I find it satisfactory punchy. High torque from low rev is good when traveling loaded with a/c.

One minor drawback which I have spotted and not read anywhere else: the car is a little reluctant to start and climb >10% grades. When on the move no problem but setting of, needs some effort with clutch and throttle.

Thanks everyone. I can see why it might struggle on hill starts - there's going to be very little torque from a standing start until the turbo kicks in...

I think on balance I'm better going with the 1.4 (assuming I can overcome the urge to get a secondhand VRS instead :giggle: )

As the old saying goes "There ain't no substitute for cc's" and there is a lot of truth in that. Also, you don't get something for nothing and as diesel owners know, the 0 to 60 time is only a small part of the story. Often the diesel appears slower on paper, but in real world conditions, it's often faster. A small turbo engine in a bigger car will probably seem fine in urban condition, but in the real world as stated it's going to be driven with foot hard down and economy and ultimate engine life will suffer. I can't imagine that a 1.2 four up on the motorway is going to be much fun - it'll probably be a hazard to shipping. Having said all that - in a small light hatchback, this is probably a cracking engine.