Boost leak info

After reading many a post regarding boost leaks from boost hose/pipe joins from the EGR valve down to the top of the intercooler due to the circlips becoming slack over time and so not sealing the hose tightly i thought i'd share this bit of info. As a result usually the first thing you do to sort the problem is to go down to your nearest 'stealer' and order some new circlips(if your not up-grading your hoses), but i was recently informed by a VAG mechanic that just replacing with new circlips will not always solve the problem as in between the joins of each connection of the hoses just from the EGR valve hose joint to the top of the intercooler there are four O-ring type rubber washers (of which one is a larger diameter than the other three) that MUST also be replaced along with the circlips as its these washers are the key component that creates the air tight seal under pressure(boost) and the circlips are inplace mainly as a back up!! Anyway, hope this bit of info comes in usefull to someone.emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Top tip indeed :thumbup: I would add, that if left too long, the actual lips on the metal part of the pipe ends wear, which means the new clips don't have enough metal to grip. The best way to avoid this, is to cable tie all the joins together to prevent hose creep at the joints, as the boost pressure rises and falls. One cable tie round each hose, then two cable ties linking the other two together.

Top tip indeed :thumbup: I would add, that if left too long, the actual lips on the metal part of the pipe ends wear, which means the new clips don't have enough metal to grip. The best way to avoid this, is to cable tie all the joins together to prevent hose creep at the joints, as the boost pressure rises and falls. One cable tie round each hose, then two cable ties linking the other two together.

Yes moggy, thats another good thing to also check for. It just shows that it can save money & stress if you just have a good look at other parts involved aswell before just going out to buy the obviouse part first or better still have a quick look on 'search' regarding your issue;)