Engine stalling

Hi there guys!

I've had my skoda a while now and only had the standard issues i.e. creaking bushings and door seal leaks (all fixed) but recently I've been getting a strong smell of clutch while going up hill. The car has been idling differently (almost stalling) and appears to dip in revs when going downhill or breaking - Its stalled whilst going downhill AND breaking.

I've changed the temp sensor on top of the engine incase the ECU has been getting the fuel mix wrong but I'm still getting the problem.

Any ideas?

What engine variant does it have? I'd presume a VW independent will be able to hook your car up to vag-com to check the sensor readings etc. to see if anything is amiss.

The car has been idling differently (almost stalling)

Got an 8v MPI too and mine does this aswell, except from a cold start. Switch the ignition on the revs shoot up then the engine coughs and splutters and either goes dead or gets to idling stage.

My revs go down if I accelerate lightly and can stall when the engine is cold. I need to rev up to about 3k or so to avoid it all..

But never when braking or downhill at all :S

Sorry, I really didn't help at all there.. :'(

With your symptons, especially the moisture in the exhaust, I'd be concerned about the head gasket as this is a known weakness on this engine. Are you loosing coolant, mayonnaise on the oil filler cap/dipstick, smell of exhaust fumes in the coolant expansion tank etc.?

Sorry for the late reply, No im not losing coolant and there is no gunge around the oil. Its only started with the increase in temprature. I took it to kwikfit and they said although the engine management light isn't on its most probably a sensor affecting the fuel mix or something. They also decided to remove the caps from the engine and not put them back on so it appears I need to buy them now!!

Does anyone know the part number or where I can get the Badge that covers the mount for the Engine cover. Its probably specific to the 1.4 8v.

Cheers.

Don't go to kwick f**K. they put my sisters renault megan cab into a serious state of scaryness. Changed the brake disks and pads Left the bolts hanging out of calipers (Broke one and replaced with one twice the length). She took it back complaining of a knocking noise they replaced her rear suspension, took it back again replaced all her exhaust rubbers. Car left not fit for use and a huge bill for stuff not needed. Not the only bad thing I've seen with them in many diff garages but defo the worst. sorry about the rant

It does sound like a sensor though to me or the ht spark plug thing but would expect a dash light(epc) or even dud spark plugs. Get a vag tester on it to see if any codes come up, maybe someone on the forum near you could be of assistance with regards to vagcon. ps I see you suggested this, I think £60 from vag garage £20-£40 from independant or as I said a forum member with one may do for a small fee.

check none of the pipes have come off around the intake area. My fabia has mayo on oil cap but still ran fine(until sunday) have been told its normal for regular short journeys just moisture build up. It could just be yours puts it out the exhaust while mine puts in on the oil cap.

Sorry if you find my post completly usless hopfully some better informed can give better advice

for caps I'd look at somewhere like Joilry or Ebay (grum1969 i think sells stuf for joilry on ebay)

Edited by The Worm

hi guys, i know this is an old thread but ive just joined and thought id give an opinion. my wife has this problem with her fabia 1.4 mpi, however it can be overcome by turning on the aircon. i think the cause is a small clutch mechanism on the aircon unit that engages/disengages when aircon is on/off. if the mechanism jams on then the engine will be trying to drive the aircon unit without the extra revs needed. therefore you get the stalling problem. this is only a theory at the moment but i will be looking into it in detail very soon and will let you know

I would doubt its that to be honest, the engine increases revs to manage the aircon when its on, and decreases when its off. If you HAVE to have aircon on top increase revs and stop stalls... I very much doubt aircon to be the problem. It seems it would be an underlying problem i.e. temprature or other sensors that determin fuel mix getting fuel mixes wrong. I expect thats the reason I'm getting moisture and other buildups in areas it shouldn't be.

Anyway I took it to the skoda garage and luckily the woman at the parts desk was rather helpful (I think she had a thing for me!). She gave me a list of issues with the car, part numbers and cost, a free service and valet and I only went in for a Aux drive belt!

On the list the most worrying is the Rocker Cover gasket split - Causing an oil leak in the engine bay. I suppose this may possibly be causing the issues?